Rosamund's Reviews > Like a Mother: A Feminist Journey Through the Science and Culture of Pregnancy

Like a Mother by Angela Garbes

liked it
bookshelves: to-read, feminism-sex, non-fiction, ebook, read-2019

I had no stake in reading this, since I don’t want to have a kid. Yet as a cis woman at the "peak of my fertility", who is scrutinised even by strangers for my choice, and whose demographic’s reproductive rights are called into question all over the world, I had every stake in reading this. And as more and more people in my circle of friends become parents, I wouldn't mind reading up on the subject.

I didn't find it quite as "radical" as it was hyped up to be (edit: I have been assured that compared to the majority of pregnancy books out there, it is!). However, it does question the frustrations and shortcomings of gynaecology even today. Feminists and people like me will find value in the way the book tackles subjects like the plucky little organ called the placenta, body image, and the trauma of birth (especially when it triggers memories of sexual abuse). Most of all, I wish everybody who considers themselves anti-choice would read this book. It might not change their minds, but it addresses topics that aren't covered in the mainstream, propagandic narrative of pregnancy and birth that favours the foetus.

'When it comes to motherhood, we tend to gloss over, ignore, judge, or, even worse, pathologise difficult emotions. Intentionally or not, we shame and isolate women who don’t have the joyful pregnancy and postpartum experiences our culture expects, rather than helping or really making an effort to understand them.'
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like a Mother.

December 6, 2018 – Shelved