Angela's Reviews > Iron Council

Iron Council by China Miéville

F 50x66
Jan 14, 2012

Read in January, 2012

I'm having a hard time picking between 4 and 5 stars. Mieville is simply one of the best writers out there right now that I've been reading lately. (See review of Perdido Street Station for details.)

I've been having a difficult time deciding if I like Iron Council better than Perdido Street Station. I feel like until Mieville, the only alternate universes with lot of depth were modelled off of Middle Ages-type society/technology/geography, with a bit of fantasy mixed in. Sci fi books usually only described what they had to to get the story told. Mieville's novels describe completely foreign societies and places with a completeness I've never encountered before. It's hard to describe, but it's a very immersive (and sometimes overwhelming, for me at least) experience.

I think Perdido Street caught me a bit more off guard because of the newness of everything. IC had lots of new details as well (a lot of it takes place outside of New Crobozon, unlike PSS), but I think I was more prepared for the whole experience and wasn't as overwhelmed. For some reason I found the science focus (thermatology instead of the constructs) to be more interesting. This book was also more of a political thriller than a mystery/crime solving one, which is more my style (though I am hesitant to try and categorize either of them like that because it wrongly makes the books seem...I don't know, pat or formulaic or something. It's not a political drama, there's simply more politics in it than PSS). I think I was less attached to the IC characters than PSS, but they were still very well written.

After typing this out and re-thinking about the book, I've decided to bump my review up to five stars. So there you go.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Iron Council.