Fanna's Reviews > Le Journal d'un Ingénu

Le Journal d'un Ingénu by Émile Bravo

72205668
Spirou is a famous character in Belgium and this comic was initially published in the Danish language but I guess it's now also available in English. Spirou is, as the subtitle suggests, a naive young man who isn't very educated in terms of the political issues going around in his country and the continent itself. He works as a bellboy in a hotel that hosts quite a few 'known' personalities and when political ideas and plans start brewing in the hotel, by these politically strong guests, Spirou is forced to brush up his geographical knowledge and even his general knowledge. The plot covers WW2 and is quite impressively interwoven with Spirou's own story.

For those who have read the infamous Spirou series, this works as a gap filler to answer a lot of questions that readers seem to have been asking for all these years: like why Spirou keeps on his bell boy uniform or why does his pet squirrel possess humanlike consciousness. The art is the classic box style with each scene comprising of little movements and conversational dialogues compartmentalized in little boxes. The drawing and color palette is also good but it wasn't something I found very interesting or appealing which is the reason for the loss of one star. The other one went away for my personal preference doesn't include historical, real war themes and while I thought the art would interest me enough to consider the war theme, it didn't.

Anyway, I would recommend this to those who like historical fictions strewn with the story of a famous fictional character through art.

Disclaimer: I received a digital copy of this via Netgalley but that, in no way, influences my rating and/or thoughts about it. Thank you Emile Bravo and Europe Comics!

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Le Journal d'un Ingénu.

December 5, 2018 – Started Reading