Julie's Reviews > The Impossible Girl

The Impossible Girl by Lydia Kang

bookshelves: 2019, e-book, historical-fiction, lake-union, kindle-lending-library

Impossible Girl by Lydia Kang is a 2018 Lake Union Publishing publication.

A dark, gritty, and ghoulish piece of highly suspenseful historical fiction!

Cora Cutter, born of mixed race, and out of wedlock, is raised by her aunt after her mother dies in childbirth. The doctor, who arrived too late to save her mother, examines Cora, and declares she has been born with two hearts. This anomaly would most assuredly place a price on her head and put an end to her life. As such, Cora is brought up as a boy to protect her real identity.

Now living in Manhattan, in 1850, Cora presents herself as twins. In her male disguise, she performs the physical labor of a Resurrectionist. When Cora ditches her male persona, she handles the business end of the operation. The clandestine operation of exhuming bodies, especially those who, like Cora, are unusual- a port wine stain birthmark, or a girl born with a tail, for example, brings top dollar when sold to museums of curiosities. Cora, herself, would make prime exhibit, which, of course, makes her a target, especially now, as a killer is out there hastening the deaths of those who have certain unique traits or characteristics.

Yet, Cora’s enterprise is threatened by some stiff competition and the rumors swirling about a girl with two hearts is threatening to cut into her profits and expose her closely guarded secret!

Historical fiction is probably my favorite genre right now. This book is a prime example of why I think this genre is so rich and fulfilling. This book knocked my socks off!!

There are so many layers to this tale, I’d love to write a long analysis, but will try to keep it my thoughts brief and an on point.

If you like strong female leads, you won’t find one better than Cora! She’s savvy, because she’s had no other choice but to find clever ways to remain incognito and earn a living. Despite her unseemly occupation, she is loyal to a fault, flawed and human, but also entirely believable. In fact, all the characters in this book are realistically portrayed. Human frailties abound, and the darkness at the center of humanity is absolutely spot on.

The premise is also based in fact, believe it or not, as grave robbing was indeed a lucrative business during this era. Hard to imagine, but morbidly fascinating at the same time. This is a terrific backdrop for this outstanding, atmospheric, and highly suspenseful mystery, which develops at a tantalizing pace.

The writing is superb, and the story flows beautifully. The dialogue, while less than authentic at times, is still crisp, witty, and sharp. This is an intelligent story, well- structured for optimum suspense, but, is also a story with a great big heart- pun intended.

The conclusion is absolutely riveting!! I was on the edge of my seat, on pins and needles! I was in total shock and completely bowled over when the twist of all diabolical twist hit me right between the eyes- and I never saw it coming!! Whew! Oh, yes- this is my kind of book!

This is a fantastic novel from start to finish! If you like dark, twisted mysteries, novels of suspense, or realistic historical fiction, this one should be in your wheelhouse.

5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impossible Girl.

December 5, 2018 – Shelved
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: lake-union
February 9, 2019 – Shelved as: kindle-lending-library
March 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)

message 1: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Lovely review, Julie! Sounds like a nail-biter :)

Amalia Gavea Beautiful review, Julie!

message 3: by Candi (new)

Candi This awesome review is kinda irresistible, Julie ;)

JV (semi-hiatus) Brilliant write-up, dear Julie! I'm delighted to hear that you loved this! 🤗

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Glad you enjoyed this one, Julie. Nice review!

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson This sounds so good! I’m glad you enjoyed it so much. Great review, Julie! 😊

Julie Mackenzie wrote: "Lovely review, Julie! Sounds like a nail-biter :)"

Thank you, Mackenzie!! It did get a little intense! 💕

Julie Jennifer wrote: "This sounds so good! I’m glad you enjoyed it so much. Great review, Julie! 😊"

Thank you, Jennifer!! This one might make the year end favorites list! 💕🤗

Julie Jen wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this one, Julie. Nice review!"

Thank you very much, Jen!! 🤗💕

Julie JV wrote: "Brilliant write-up, dear Julie! I'm delighted to hear that you loved this! 🤗"

Thank you very much, JV!! 🤗

Julie Candi wrote: "This awesome review is kinda irresistible, Julie ;)"

Thank you, Candi!! You might like this one!! 🤗💕

Julie Amalia wrote: "Beautiful review, Julie!"

Thank you, so much dear Amalia!! 💕🤗

message 13: by Erin (new)

Erin Sounds intriguing, Julie! Terrific review!

Julie Erin wrote: "Sounds intriguing, Julie! Terrific review!"

Thank you, Erin!! 🤗💕🌷

message 15: by KAS (new)

KAS Outstanding review, Julie ;) You have definitely convinced me I will enjoy this one, too!! 🌺🌼🌸

message 16: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Terrific review, Julie! Sounds like a must read!

Julie KAS wrote: "Outstanding review, Julie ;) You have definitely convinced me I will enjoy this one, too!! 🌺🌼🌸"

Thank you, KAS!! Yes! I highly recommend it!! 🌷💕🤗

Julie Nadia wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! Sounds like a must read!"

Thank you, Nadia!! One of my favorites of the year, so far! 🤗💕

message 19: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Great review! Makes me want to read it.

Julie Lynn wrote: "Great review! Makes me want to read it."

Thank you, very much Lynn!! I hope you will give a try someday! 🌷🤗💕

message 21: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie!🤗💖

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Fab review, Julie! 💜🌺💜

Linda Loved it, too, Julie. Can't wait for the next one from this talented author. ;)

message 24: by Richard (new)

Richard Sounds amazing ........ fab review Julie :)

message 25: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Excellent review Julie! Sounds really good! 💕🌹

Brenda - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Julie!

message 27: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Excellent review Julie!!

message 28: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Ooooh! This sounds like my kind of book, Julie! Fabulous review!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Terrific review, Julie! This sounds SO good!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie!🤗💖"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 🤗🌷🤗

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Terrific review, Julie! This sounds SO good!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! What a great find! Highly recommend! 🌷💕😊

Julie Meredith wrote: "Ooooh! This sounds like my kind of book, Julie! Fabulous review!"

Thank you, Meredith! I think you would love this one! 😊💕😊

Julie Kendall wrote: "Excellent review Julie!!"

Thank you, Kendall!! 😊💕😊

Julie Brenda - Traveling Sister wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie!"

Thank you, Brenda!! 😊💕😊

Julie leslie hamod wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!"

Thank you, Leslie!! 😊💕😊

Julie Nicola wrote: "Excellent review Julie! Sounds really good! 💕🌹"

Thank you, dear Nicola!! 😊💕😊

Julie Richard wrote: "Sounds amazing ........ fab review Julie :)"

Thank you, Richard!! An awesome story!! 😊😊

Julie Linda wrote: "Loved it, too, Julie. Can't wait for the next one from this talented author. ;)"

Thank you, Linda!! I can't wait either!! Glad you enjoyed this one, too! 😊💕😊

Julie Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Fab review, Julie! 💜🌺💜"

Thank you, Mary Beth!! 😊🌷😊

message 40: by JanB (new)

JanB Wow, what a stellar review Julie. I love your enthusiasm for this book! 💕

message 41: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Fantastic review, Julie. If I could read “dark, gritty and ghoulish, I’d be reading it right now based on your review.

message 42: by Tahera (new)

Tahera Fantastic review Julie!! This is something I would definitely read!

Julie Tahera wrote: "Fantastic review Julie!! This is something I would definitely read!"

Thank you, Tahera!! I hope you will give it a try!! 😊😊

Julie Angela M wrote: "Fantastic review, Julie. If I could read “dark, gritty and ghoulish, I’d be reading it right now based on your review."

Thank you, so much Angela!! 😊😊

Julie JanB wrote: "Wow, what a stellar review Julie. I love your enthusiasm for this book! 💕"

Thank you, dear Jan!! I had seen some positive reviews for this book, but it exceeded by expectations!! 😊😊

message 46: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wonderful review Julie!

Julie Holly wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 😊🌷💕

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) Fabulous review, Julie! This one is on my wishlist :)

Julie Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! This one is on my wishlist :)"

Thank you, Jaline!! I have a feeling you will like this one!! Enjoy!! 💕😊

message 50: by Roland (new) - added it

Roland Clarke Another great review that ears a TBR.

« previous 1