Luna Bookish's Reviews > Stalin's Daughter: The Extraordinary and Tumultuous Life of Svetlana Alliluyeva

Stalin's Daughter by Rosemary Sullivan

bookshelves: non-fiction

This was a wonderfully written non-fiction account of the daughter of one of the worlds most notorious men. It was really enlightening to read about her relationship with her father for a few reasons. The first being it really gave insight into Soviet Russian elite, which to me seemed to not be so different with how the elite lived under the tsars, and how Stalin was as a husband and a father.

I also liked how this novel tracked her life following the death of her father and beyond. I think it was a very good nod to her because it seemed like she tried hard to be seen as her own person and this novel really does just that.

As I said earlier, this is well written. The style of writing is story like with a great deal of information, I think this is great for those who want to read more non-fiction but are intimidated by books being to "academic". In addition to this, the organization and execution of this biography is wonderful. The flow was very natural and I never felt like I was jumping around in her story, even though we cover an entire lifetime in a single book.

This book also inspired me to look into Svetlana's own books about her story and also read more from this author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalin's Daughter.

December 5, 2018 – Shelved