Steve's Reviews > Let's Go!: Benjamin Orr and the Cars

Let's Go! by Joe Milliken

bookshelves: biographies

Joe Milliken spent 11 years working on this book, but the words aren't his.

Instead, the story of Benjamin Orzechowski is told by family, friends and peers. Joe merely serves as your tour guide; ensuring chronology and clarity along the way.

But 'merely' is a misnomer. What he actually does is reconcile the inherently-human trait of faulty memories and vague recollections from years past with actual events, moments and circumstances, all the while dealing with... what turns out to be... an emotionally-charged story about a man long-passed, who placed high value on privacy; especially with the intimacy of the people he allowed into his life. So, no big whoop, right Joey? (Bostonian accent inferred)

That was an unexpected element for me and it was the first of many in this book.

As it turns out, nearly everyone contributing to this story (and it's a considerable number) all convey an emotional connection; some strong, some slight. But even the retelling of what would ordinarily be mundane circumstances, retained connected feelings and perceptions.

It's obvious Benjamin Orzechowski had an effect on people.

Every so often, the world gives us people who are very charismatic: Some are gracious and unpretentious, some are complete jerks. And everyone who comes in contact with either of them are permanently affected. Benjamin Orr: Bassist, vocalist, co-founder and star power behind legendary New Wave artists The Cars... was very much the former.

Orr went against type: Famous, admired by his peers and adored by his fans. And with the latter, his draw is practically legendary. Nearly 20 years after his death, there remains a dedicated fan base, and it continues to grow.

In public, Benjamin Orr was soft-spoken and, to some, he even appeared aloof. But these traits hid who he really was. In reality, Orr was energizing and profoundly loyal to people. He was "That Guy," the one that would give you the proverbial shirt off his back-guy. And to more people than you probably imagine, Orr was simply known as "Benny," and to those people, he remained Benny long after The Cars broke into international stardom.

So here is another unexpected element: The Rock Star... who wasn't. It's this element that puts Joe's book on a different playing field from those other Rock biographies. It's a worthy investment of curiosity. It keeps you reading.

There are unexpected elements here, but I'll leave you to discover those yourself; they're worth it.

I do want to touch on other thing, though.

An author can do an exceptional job of allowing others to tell a story, as Joe Milliken does here. But, c'mon... no one spends 11 years getting this close to a story like Benjamin Orr without being affected.

He was. How... is for you to find out.

But for me, it was the best part.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Go!.

December 5, 2018 – Shelved
December 20, 2018 –
page 75
December 20, 2018 –
page 75
30.24% "Every story, from the Beatles to Aerosmith, includes halcyon days just before breaking, when momentum gathers and confidence builds... these are my favorite parts of the story and that’s where I’m at right now with Ben’s story."
December 22, 2018 –
page 141
January 7, 2019 –
page 163
January 9, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Joe (new)