Sarah's Reviews > Warrior Undone

Warrior Undone by Jessica Ruben

bookshelves: 2019-arc-reads

I absolutely devoured this book. I tried putting it down, and just couldn't. J Ruben wrote a perfect story of a broken veteran and a strong, independent heroine. It was exhilarating, breathtaking, and all-consuming.

I first met Slade in Vincent & Eve's series, which I loved so much that I wasn't sure how I would feel about Slade's story. But this man stole my heart!!!! He is so beautifully broken. He is all Alpha-male and I am HERE.FOR.IT. The muscles, the confidence, the possessive and protective nature - GAH - I fell for him hard. Although you know that he is battling his own demons, you can't help but get swept up in his charming and swoon-worthy ways.

When Lauren enters the picture, I actually loved the fact that they had met before. Their chemistry was already established, and the way Slade stalked her like she was his prey in their initial reunion scene was SO HOT! I was done for this man right there. I loved Lauren - she was classy, brilliant, beautiful and had just enough sass to put Slade in his place when needed. Their banter was so fun and flirty and Lauren's confidence made me want to channel my inner female goddess. She had Slade figured out pretty quickly, and it was both endearing and nerve-wracking to watch how she tip-toed around both of their feelings and emotions.

"But it seems that so long as I don't cross any of his boundary lines, he'll stay in his natural state - cool, calm, controlled, and sexy as hell." Sigh....sexy as hell is right!

The more time that Lauren & Slade spend together, the more I found myself inserted in their lives and invested in their outcome. Their story is so real and raw. The descriptive scenes of Slade's PTSD and the tragedy that occurs in this book both brought tears and goosebumps. J Ruben did a fabulous job of truly painting the picture of what war veterans experience upon returning home, as well as the reality of today's crisis of mass shootings; and the parallels she drew between Lauren's experiences with working with Eve and her own involvement with Slade were simply brilliant. This book will steal your breath. You will cry tears of pain and joy. You will fall in love with not only the hero, but also the bold and determined heroine. I was both empowered and humbled by this book. J Ruben - you have done it again, and I can't wait to see what's next from you!!! 5+ stars from me for Warrior Undone!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warrior Undone.

December 5, 2018 – Shelved