Hamad's Reviews > Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

bookshelves: 2018-reads, e-books, non-fiction
Recommended to Hamad by: Tala

This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

โ€œThe best bridge between despair and hope is a good nightโ€™s sleep.โ€

๐ŸŒŸ I am still on a quest to discover more non-fiction books, that started last year and I am willing to continue this year. So when Tala (Who also happens to be a medical student in my class) recommended this, I knew that I had to read it!

๐ŸŒŸ I also had the same first question that most of us will think of: How a ~370 pages book is filled with things on sleep?! This book answered many questions that I had thought about in my long sleepless nights. It explains why do we need to sleep, the evolutionary role of sleep, why do we dream and what are the benefits of dreaming, Why do we as teenagers and new adults like to go to sleep late while adults go early, why do you feel tired after you pull an all-nighter but then gradually get energized! And one of my favorite things is explaining why we like to keep one foot out of the bed at night!!

๐ŸŒŸ What is cooler about this is that it does so in a simple language that everyone can understand. No need to be in the medical field to do so. If you are interested in sleep then you should read this!

๐ŸŒŸ One of my professors once told me that people like to view the world in what they are best at. So a doctor will see everything as physiology and pathology, an engineer will see things as equations, numbers and drawings, a chemist will announce the secret of life as Alchemy. So a sleep scientist will explain everything by -you guessed it- Sleep!
As much as I enjoyed the book, I thought it was trying too much sometimes! There was a graph depicting the relationship between Obesity and sleep and it shows that through the years we have been sleeping less and thus becoming more obese. Which has a certain truth to it but we can not ignore the changes in food and lifestyles too!

๐ŸŒŸ Also the author would tell you that if you donโ€™t sleep well (I assure you that 99% of us donโ€™t) then you will get Alzheimer, cancers, obesity, diabetes and all sort of thingsโ€ฆ If you find this idea uncomfortable then you may want to skip this.

๐ŸŒŸ Summary & Prescription: I really enjoyed this book as much as I expected to. It is kind of scientific but still awesome to read. I like that the author provided concrete evidence -Although I want to discuss some things further more- through the book and that it was not all theories. I recommend this for all of you looking for a non-fiction book and are interested in Sleep!

Happy reading and Sleep tight I guess?
82 likes ·  โˆ™ flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Sleep.

December 5, 2018 – Started Reading
December 5, 2018 – Shelved
December 31, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Lily โ˜๏ธ Ahhh this book is ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป

Hamad Lily โ˜๏ธ wrote: "Ahhh this book is ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป"

I read the first 40 pages and it really is ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป

message 3: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Sounds interesting! I've been into learning about sleep, and it's so cool what our brain does when we sleep!! :D Idk if that sounds weird but oh well ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hamad SugarPop wrote: "Sounds interesting! I've been into learning about sleep, and it's so cool what our brain does when we sleep!! :D Idk if that sounds weird but oh well ๐Ÿ˜‚"

Actually I am almost finished with this one and you're totally right :D

message 5: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Yeah! It's awesome how when we sleep our brain clears toxins and stuff from inside the brain and the rest of the body. Like... WOW. Obviosuly there's more, but I haven't read that yet. ๐Ÿ˜‚

message 6: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Hamad wrote: "SugarPop wrote: "Sounds interesting! I've been into learning about sleep, and it's so cool what our brain does when we sleep!! :D Idk if that sounds weird but oh well ๐Ÿ˜‚"

Actually I am almost finis..."

Btw, you're studying medicine, right? Isn't it soooooo cool?! Really, anything that has to do with the human anatomy and especially our immune system is AWESOME!

message 7: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Also, I know I wrote it in my message to u when I sent u a friend request, but what is your profile picture of? It's beautiful! :D

Hamad SugarPop wrote: "Also, I know I wrote it in my message to u when I sent u a friend request, but what is your profile picture of? It's beautiful! :D"

I am sorry I forgot to reply, It is Six of Crows but it is not fae!

message 9: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Haha, that's ok!! Oh, their ears look a little like fae? And thanks! It looks really cool :)

message 10: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Looking at it now, never mind ๐Ÿ˜‚ Their ears do not look like fae. I guess it was that guy in the middle. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Sorry!

Hamad SugarPop wrote: "Looking at it now, never mind ๐Ÿ˜‚ Their ears do not look like fae. I guess it was that guy in the middle. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ Sorry!"

Don't worry!

message 12: by Sad (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Great re... ZzzzZZZzzz...

message 13: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Sad wrote: "Great re... ZzzzZZZzzz..."
LOL ๐Ÿ˜‚

Hamad Sad wrote: "Great re... ZzzzZZZzzz..."

Heheheh xD

message 15: by Hala (new)

Hala Elaila funny iโ€™m reading this review 3:11 am and iโ€™m going to bed late lol

message 16: by SugarPlum (new) - added it

SugarPlum M. Hala wrote: "funny iโ€™m reading this review 3:11 am and iโ€™m going to bed late lol"
Lol! How ironic

Hamad Hala wrote: "funny iโ€™m reading this review 3:11 am and iโ€™m going to bed late lol"

haha then you should sleep till 10-11 a.m at least :D

Hamad SugarPop wrote: "Hala wrote: "funny iโ€™m reading this review 3:11 am and iโ€™m going to bed late lol"
Lol! How ironic"

It was also my before-going-to-bed reading which is ironic!

PrinceGenocide ( but u can call me Abhi ) I want to read some good non fiction Too. For any recommendations ?

Hamad PrinceGenocide ( but u can call me Abhi ) wrote: "I want to read some good non fiction Too. For any recommendations ?"

I am posting top 10 non-fiction recommendations on my blog if that helps!