Amie Kaufman's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: fantasy, ya

I've been waiting for years for a book like this.

I did my apprenticeship for so many years -- I read all the classic fantasy, Eddings and Pullman and everything like them I could find, and I waited for somebody to write me something else like that.

A book with the sweeping feeling of an epic, but the they-could-be-your-best-friend intimacy of being right up close to the characters, and the finely researched world building that makes you feel like a thousand other stories are happening if you could just peek off to the left of what's happening on the page.

Shadow and Bone delivered everything, everything I could ask for.

You know the way that sometimes, towards the end of a particularly amazing book, you slow down? You know it's going to end, and you don't want it to, and so instead of racing on you find yourself making cups of tea and doing other things, because once you reach the end, there's no more? I started that about a third of the way through the book. And then, towards the end, I was caught up in an ecstatic rush, flying through the pages, desperate to know where we were going. The story picked me up and slammed me around, and though nothing was as it seemed to be, I trusted the author every step of the way.

The world of Shadow and Bone isn't Russia -- it's a fantasy Russia, different in subtle ways, but tied back to the real world in a way that gives it incredible depth. The cast of characters is gorgeous -- they're ambiguous, and come in every possible shade of grey. Every time I thought I had one pinned, another facet would be revealed, throwing light on what had gone before. Every character had a genuine part to play, and I'm dying to see where they end up as the story continues.

Leigh Bardugo's writing is extraordinary, vivid and immediate. She tells her story on an epic scale, yet leaves you feeling as though you've lived the adventure yourself, dirt and grit and snow and all. I cried. I swooned. I cheered.

I loved this book. It'll have a place on my bookshelf forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

January 14, 2012 – Shelved