Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > Call Me Evie

Call Me Evie by J.P. Pomare

bookshelves: arc, contemporary, crime, fiction, thrillers

I'll be honest and say what initially drew me to this book was the fact that my name is in the title. However, I wasn't disappointed. Call Me Evie was a quick psychological thriller which kept me hooked from start to finish.

This haunting suspense story begins with seventeen-year-old Kate waking up in an isolated cabin in New Zealand. The man holding her captive, Jim, concocts a story claiming he's her uncle and that she now must go by the name of 'Evie.' Although drug-induced and confused, Kate is certain he's not telling the truth.

The story thus follows Kate as she attempts to solve the puzzle of what her role truly was during the crime committed in Melbourne. She's left with nothing but nebulous memories and vague dreams from the incident. Sedated and locked up, she is determined to discover the truth.

With her hazy memory, Kate is an unreliable narrator who left me second guessing various incidents throughout the plot. There are a plethora of well-developed characters in this small bleak New Zealand town. Is Kate being held captive or protected? Who can I trust? Moreover, who is Jim and what are his true motives? These questions kept me turning the pages as I itched to unveil their answers.

Although predictable at parts, Call Me Evie was drenched with satisfying twists which kept me hooked from the first page. 2019 is already looking to be another incredible year for new releases.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Call Me Evie.

December 5, 2018 – Shelved