Elley Murray's Reviews > The Twelfth Date

The Twelfth Date by Stella Starling

bookshelves: kuchristmas, kindle-unlimited, mm-romance, lgbtqia, christmas, contemporary-romance, holiday, romance

Rating: 4.5 stars

It's so funny how different readers' tastes can be, because my book BFF Ariel (aka Peekaboo) DNF'd this one, and I give it 4.5 shiny Christmas stars. *shrug* The world works in mysterious ways!

Clearly this book starts off with a major misunderstanding - Nicky has some major insecurity and self-esteem issues and is shooting off his mouth about what he wants in a man and about how his matches on bLoved aren't exciting enough for him when all he really wants is someone to accept him for the complete hot mess he is ("warts and all"), and lo and behold the perfection that is Felix turns around and choirs of angels start singing. And then Felix says his profile is set to "looking for friends" and bada bing, bada boom, they've agreed to be friends with benefits even though they both totally want to be more but they both think they're doing what the other one wants by settling. Could the issue be completely resolved by having 5 minutes of honest and open dialogue? Well yes, of course, but that wouldn't make for a very exciting book, now would it? ;)

I LOVE the dynamic between Felix and Nicky. They are *adorable* together, and this book made me at certain times smile like a lunatic while simultaneously leaking from my eyeballs. It hurts. And their little text conversations between chapters were also super cute (and hilarious). Felix's family is crazy and I love them and want to keep them, because they're exactly what a big, loving, totally overbearing family should be. I'm also something of a Nicky and completely understand the tendency to grandstand and peacock as a way to cover up super deep insecurities, and I love love *LOVE* the growth and realization he goes through over the course of this book, not only about his relationship with Felix but also about his own capabilities and his ability to do his job and his value as a person, both as it relates to his job and outside of it. To a lesser extent Felix also learns some lessons, namely what it means to fight for what you want. The ending is a little pat but hey, it's Christmas, so let's drink some eggnog and just enjoy it, OK?

The Twelfth Date is the second book in the #boyfriendsbybLoved series, but can be read as a stand alone with no spoilers for the first book in the series (and there's really no overlap - they mention the contest that takes place in book one, The Boyfriend Game, super briefly in passing).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twelfth Date.

December 4, 2018 – Shelved
December 17, 2018 – Shelved as: christmas
December 17, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
December 17, 2018 – Shelved as: holiday
December 17, 2018 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ariel Yay! I'm glad you liked it!