Madeleine's Reviews > All the Light We Cannot See

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

20603646

did not like it
bookshelves: buddy-read, 2019-reads, library-loan, thiccc, x-historical-fiction

I honestly don't even know what to say about this book.

I didn't really understand what it was about, and for the first third about Marie-Laure and Werner's childhoods, my eyes glazed over Werner's chapters. Then, at some point, Werner's chapters were more interesting than Marie-Laure's!

The short chapters were nice to breeze through, and I always appreciate a book that lands a delicate balance between lyrical and overly descriptive. Although it was a VERY slow and confusing start (part ZERO, really?? Just call it a prologue, Anthony!), it was an easy book to enjoy... if it hadn't been so damn LONG.

Also, there was no discernable climax. I kept waiting for something to happen. And although things happened, there wasn't one big thing that happened.

I did an "aggressive skim" of the last 30% of the book and don't feel like I missed much. Holy CRAP this book is so long. So. Very. Long. I thought the "epilogue" chapters were worthwhile, but maybe some of the day-to-day life of the earlier chapters could have been cut? Or maybe the day-to-day life chapters are the point of the book?? I'm not sure. But I felt the book could have been cut down to about 400 pages and it would have been a lot more tolerable. I was just ready to be DONE with it, but I had already sunk in 370+ pages, which is why I didn't just DNF this. That, and I was reading this as part of a buddy read.

It's not that I regret reading this, it's that it started to feel more like a chore than enjoyment. Clearly I am in the minority here, so if you're a fan of historical fiction based in World War II-era, I'd say give it a shot!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All the Light We Cannot See.

December 4, 2018 – Shelved