C.G. Drews's Reviews > Aru Shah and the End of Time

Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi

bookshelves: 4-star, middle-grade, magical-fantasy, read-2018

This was absolutely EVERYTHING I hoped it would be! Just afjdklsd forget how old I am for a second: I love love love the Percy Jackson books. (Except for you, Mr. Burning Maze. Go fix all your typos because That Character definitely did not die. I am in denial.) I go to Riordan stories for (a) humour, (b) loveable adorkable characters, and (c) epic mythology but with an absurdist and cleverly witty twist. And what did Aru Shah do?!

ALL OF THAT. Perfectly.

Since this is a Riordan imprint, I just wanted to open with that sentiment, because it really has the Percy Jackson feel and voice (!!) and I'm just super excited Riordan is sharing this and bringing minority #ownvoices authors under his banner to share their stories in correct and beautifully told ways.

ok ok afjkdsd so you get it: I quite enjoyed this. I won't ramble for ages (WOW A SHOCKING PROMISE) but here are the main things I loved...

Aru was just a freaking amazing little squish. She has a big imagination (read: she lies a lot lol lol) and she did the entire quest in Spiderman pyjamas. She's awkward and cute and struggling with doubts and wants as well as being totally confident at times and yelling at demons and making deals with ancient gods.
Also MINI...she's the other reincarnated Pandava. She's like a germaphobe and is always saying "if you do that, we'll all die!!" and she's adorable and I loved her. I also loved their friendship growing to such a tight-knit sister bond.
THE GODS AND MYTHOLOGY!! I very much don't know much Indian mythology so I learned a lot plus I love the way it was presented. Also Aru was equal parts reverent of the myths and also sassed about them too and I think that's adorable.
Quest plot!! Adventure!! Journey!! Near death experiences!! As does happen. It was all really fun and the pacing was great...although I do think it was kinda long. But I'm impatient lmao.
It's hinting we'll meet more Pandava sisters soon and I am excited. I also loved Boo, the snarky side-kick guide pigeon, and all the messages about belonging, feeling ignored and invisible, wanting friends, and loving your found-family.

Yes thank you, I will take more of this. :')

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aru Shah and the End of Time.

December 4, 2018 – Shelved
December 4, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 26, 2018 – Started Reading
December 27, 2018 –
page 55
15.49% "ok this is adorable and completely fun and so far Aru has done this whole adventure in her spiderman pyjamas"
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: middle-grade
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
December 30, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
December 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by bee (new) - added it

bee this sounds super fun and cute!!! I'm really glad you enjoyed it and I can't wait to read it myself.

p.s. oh honey, That Character is dead as a doornail :))))))))))))))