Steve Tetreault's Reviews > Girl in Pieces

Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow

bookshelves: 9th-grade, book-club, female, for-school, mental-health, realistic-fiction, young-adult

What it’s about: Charlie is a girl with a rough past. At seventeen, she's in a psychiatric facility, which she prefers to the life she was living on the street. She's covered in scars, physically and emotionally. When she finds herself back on the outside, in a new place, she has many difficult choices to make. Can she resist the darkness that threatens to consume her, and find a new light to guide her? As she learns, not everyone is what they seem.

What I thought: This was a very tough book to read for me. Although I know that there are many people who can identify with Charlie, it hurts my heart to know this is so. I've known people who have gone through similar situations, and it is a terrible, terrible situation. I appreciate that the author was willing to share her personal experiences so others would know that they are not the only ones who feel this way, and that there is help available.

I think this is a powerful book. I am a little concerned that it's easy for readers to judge Charlie and her actions without being able to sympathize with her plight; because the story is told purely from her point of view, we don't get a lot of other ways of seeing her, and Charlie tends to focus on her flaws and ignore her positive attributes.

Why I rated it like I did: I originally gave this a 3 because of how it made me feel - it's not a joyful story. But I realized that because it was able to make me feel that way, it must be well-written enough to convey its point well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girl in Pieces.

December 3, 2018 – Shelved