Steve Tetreault's Reviews > Monday's Not Coming

Monday's Not Coming by Tiffany D. Jackson

bookshelves: marginalized, female, for-school, 9th-grade, realistic-fiction, thriller, young-adult, book-club, minority

What it's about: Claudia's best friend, Monday, is missing, and no one seems to care. But Claudia is determined to figure out where Monday is. But with her own struggles going on, Claudia has an uphill battle to work out what has happened to Monday.

What I thought: I did not see the twist of this story coming, and I'm usually pretty good at seeing things like that. Jackson did a very nice job of setting up this story in such a way that there are a ton of things that seem like clues and foreshadowing and evidence, all pointing to different conclusions, and then making there be a pay-off for all of what she's done. For a moment, it feels like a cheat, but then, if you think about what she's actually said and done throughout the book, you realize that Jackson has actually done a really nice job of making you think you knew what was happening while actually something else was going on.

Why I rated it like I did: I am reluctant to say much about some of the clever bits she's done here, so I'll leave it at this: I was engaged by this story, and I was moved to tears toward the end, and I wasn't able to guess where things were going to end up. These are all qualities I really admire in a good story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monday's Not Coming.

December 3, 2018 – Started Reading