Aileen Mckenzie's Reviews > The Light Between Us

The Light Between Us by Katie Khan

liked it

The Light Between Us is a contemporary romantic story with a unique sci-fi slant to it. It sounds confusing and bizarre, but it’s not. Think along the lines of The Lake House staring Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves, which is such an endearing film. The plot revolves around female scientist, Thea, studying for a PHD in Physics at Oxford University, who is secretly experimenting with time travel. When one of her friends, Rosy, goes missing after the experiment it seems the impossible has happened and she has cracked the secret of time travel. This leads to her making contact with old friend Isaac in an attempt to get her friend back. Needless to say, sparks fly between the pair and not from any of their sciencey-stuff.

With just the right amount of believable, accessible physics theory, The Light Between Us gets you completely invested in the time travel story line and believing in Thea’s experimental research. On the flip side of that, you are left to feel like you have no clue what’s going on all at the same time. It’s an amazingly fine balance and one Khan pulls off expertly. The main themes running through the book are friendship, relationships and missed opportunities. “If only I had been five minutes earlier” in a Sliding Doors kind of way.

Katie Khan takes something completely wacky and “out there” like time travel, and makes it totally relatable with an engaging premise. I was really out of my comfort zone for this one, I loved the science element to it as I do enjoy mild science fiction but it would normally be something that focused on biology, not physics, so this was a whole new experience for me, especially teamed with the romantic elements of it, however the book seemed to work it a lighthearted and uplifting way, and I think The Light Between Us would make a fantastic film. I can almost picture it already, it has all the essential ingredients of a blockbuster.

The characters are well-rounded and believable and you can see them grow and evolve the further into the story you go. There were some emotionally charged moments showing how precious and precarious life and friendship is as well as the feel good moments. The Light Between Us is certainly different, but seems to just grab you almost from page one and keeps your attention the whole way through.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light Between Us.

August 3, 2018 – Started Reading