Aleksandra's Reviews > Dodge City

Dodge City by Josh Trujillo

bookshelves: graphic-novels-comics, 2018-releases

This was so cute and entertaining!

Dodge City is 4 issue/chapter comic about dodgeball team Jazz Pandas and their new team member Tomas. We follow their training, couple of games in the championship and a bit of personal drama happening in the private life. The characters are diverse (many characters of color, f/f side romance, different maybe-future m/m romances), the characters have memorable designs and vivid personalities.

It's clear that the creators were inspired by sports anime/manga. Dodge City captures in the atmosphere of sports shows perfectly - the team dynamics are incredible, there are various duos and groups in the team and it's interesting to see them all work together. To spice things up, Jazz Pandas are called cheaters and both Tomas and the reader want to get to the truth and bring back the good reputation to the team. But apart from fascinating dynamics between team members, the most prominent feature is the rivalry with other teams and oh how the comic has delivered! I can't wait for the next volume, if/when it's happening.

The art is lovely! The coloring is bright, the panel composition helps to carry on the momentum of the game. To sum up,the illustrations are excellent and a delight to read!

My one big complain is that the authors didn't take time to explain the rules of dodgeball. Perhaps the game is widely popular in US and everybody knows what's up. I didn't know them and even after finish the volume I just barely understand the rules. I's very difficult to follow the game you don't rules of. The first chapter got me especially confused because what? why? what the heck is going?! are we hitting the opposite team? are we catching the ball? dodging? what are we doing again?

All in all, Dodge City is fast-paced and exciting sports comic with diverse lovable cast of characters. If you like comic Fence or anime/manga Haikyuu!!, Dodge City is right up your alley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dodge City.

December 2, 2018 – Started Reading
December 2, 2018 – Shelved
December 2, 2018 – Shelved as: graphic-novels-comics
December 2, 2018 –
page 1
0.89% "after 20+ manga volumes i've recently read, I'm anxious about reading american comic, because it'll feel uncoomfortable at first"
December 2, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-releases
December 2, 2018 –
page 28
25.0% "ahhh this is so good!!!! i'm loving co-ed sports stories and this looks so promising!!!"
December 5, 2018 – Finished Reading