Mick Kelly's Reviews > The Order of Time

The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli

An immensely enjoyable and thought-provoking book by Carlo Rovelli. He is a theoretical physicist, born in Italy but now working in France in the field of quantum-loop gravity - one of the contenders for the ’Theory of Everything’. He is also a big-hearted romantic ex-hippy whose love of life and humanity shines through this work.

In the book he deals with time on the quantum level (essentially, time does not exist here) and at the level of the gravitational universe (in relativistic theory) where every part of the universe has it’s own, local, time. Then finally looking at time from the human perspective and how it might be built on the basis of entropy so that we see time as a series of events given direction by the increase in disorder as ‘time’ progresses.

Many books on abstruse subjects leave you with a sense of bafflement - our human senses and sensibilities are built by evolution to deal with our world of trees, rivers and animals, not atoms and black holes. This book tackles this topic and leaves you with a sense of wonder and delight.

Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Order of Time.

November 2, 2018 – Started Reading