Kassilem's Reviews > Harry Potter's Bookshelf: The Great Books behind the Hogwarts Adventures

Harry Potter's Bookshelf by John Granger

liked it
bookshelves: 1-read-books, reference

This book wasn’t quite what I was looking for when I picked it up. I suppose after reading Beyond the Wall: Exploring George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire by James Lowder I was interested in books that really delve into other books I like, and examine them. This book did that but the way it did it never really grabbed my attention. I thought a lot of what I read was kind of obvious and the rest of it was kind of out there. I’m looking to read a book and pick it apart by looking at symbols and hidden meanings. What I got out of Beyond the Wall was more to the story and an deeper understanding of the characters and plot, connections I hadn’t made while reading the book. What I got in this book was more about other books then Harry Potter. I actually enjoyed reading about the other books, but not much about the rest of the book. It was a struggle especially to read the last half of the book. I do have to say however that I had no idea the Harry Potter series took so long to plan and that it had so much hidden meaning in it. I never ever saw the Christian parallels, which was heavily talked about in this book. Perhaps because I am not a Christian. Either way, even if I was, I don’t want to read a book and, as I said before, pick it apart. I would rather just enjoy the story. I suppose that was the difference. Beyond the Wall allowed me to enjoy the Song of Fire and Ice more, while this Harry Potter book did nothing of the sort. It’s too bad. It just didn’t do anything for me. However the reviews are good and a lot of other people liked the book, so if you are a hardcore Harry Potter fan I think I would recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter's Bookshelf.

Started Reading