Sadie Hartmann's Reviews > The Moor

The Moor by Sam Haysom

liked it
bookshelves: night-worms

Thank you Sam Haysom for sending the Night Worms review copies of THE MOOR.
3.5 stars!
This book has a lot going for it by way of what horror fans are looking for--a great set up: A camping trip to 'Rutmoor National Park' with a group of teen boys and one dad, ghost stories told around the campfire and the promise of something eerie, maybe paranormal.
At first blush, I was getting some Nick Cutter "THE TROOP" vibes with the newspaper articles/clippings and subject matter but soon enough, Sam Haysom's own narrative took shape. I think he writes teenage boys really well; the dialog was very authentic (having raised 2 boys myself with a 13 year old boy still at home).
I did feel like some of the characters were a bit underdeveloped with the exception of Gary and James; the rest were not as fleshed out which left me feeling disengaged. I hate to make comparisons but in the case of THE TROOP, each boy is given some ample "page time" through flashbacks, dialog and just plain old mind chat--I love when authors can spend some quality time inside a character's head so that we can relate and get to know that person--invest. That way when tension mounts and risk steps in, the reader can feel some real concern or anxiety for what *could* happen to their beloved characters!
And while maybe that didn't quite happen in THE MOOR, I certainly think Sam Haysom has the writing chops to do it! I hope he keeps writing books because I enjoyed his storytelling voice and this was interesting enough to make me keep turning the pages! Pretty great offering for a debut. I'll be keeping my eyes on this author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moor.

November 26, 2018 – Started Reading