Alicia's Reviews > Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday

Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday by Natalie C. Anderson

it was ok
bookshelves: war, voices, religion, politics-justice, mystery-thriller, male, historical, family, dark

My feelings-- hmm. It's a tough one because the topic is on point and it's both representative of a global issue, the battles of religion and politics, wars in which children are used and abused among horrific violence and destruction with glimmers of hope.

But clocking in at 500 pages, the non-linear storytelling that tries to quicken the pace just couldn't with such a heft to the story. It's a journey. It's about relationships. I get all of that but the students that would benefit the most from this story either as a mirror, window, or sliding glass door might not engage simply based on it's thickness. I hate to be the bearer of that bad news and even I finally stopped investing because there was just so much story.

I was also disappointed to find out that the author, while addressing the issue does absolutely help the case, never traveled to the area (but obviously did extensive research) and as she states, is not from the culture, region, nor same race. Especially with so many biographies and autobiographies from those that have survived and persevered, I'd rather share that with a student that this fictionalized one.

The cover art and title are catchy enough though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Go Swimming on Doomsday.

Started Reading