Lucy's Reviews > Blood Cruise

Blood Cruise by Mats Strandberg

bookshelves: 2018, horror, contemporary, library

I got this out of the library when I saw the summary, the cover and it got recced by someone here on Goodreads that I follow. It sounded interesting enough so I picked it up and then finished it in one sitting.

In this book, several characters were getting on the cruise between Sweden and Finland, what is more known as the 'booze cruise'. In between the many characters, there is a woman and her son who are just a little bit not right. As the story unfolds, people start dying and we see them try to figure out what is going on even as people around them start coming back to life.

No, this isn't a zombie novel. Thankfully. But it is definitely a supernatural horror and the pages are just swimming with blood. There are incredibly graphic scenes of people being injured and murdered, as well as people losing their family and friends along the way. The cast of characters is varied and diverse and, though I had a few favourites I hoped would survive, I was rooted to this book as I tried to figure out which was it was going to go.

This is definitely a horror novel that plays on the horror and I really don't want to say anymore in case I spoil anything. It is definitely a book that it's better to go into it as unspoiled as possible. But I will say that the author uses the setting, a ship in the middle of the Baltic, to great effect and it becomes almost claustrophobic, increasing the horror until we're just waiting for everything to go horribly wrong. Which it does.

I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. Maybe it's because (view spoiler), but I was hoping for something a little different.

That said, it was a very quick book despite its size and I would recommend it as anyone who is looking for a good horror. 4 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Cruise.

December 1, 2018 – Started Reading