David Mytton's Reviews > The Square and the Tower: Networks, Hierarchies and the Struggle for Global Power

The Square and the Tower by Niall Ferguson

I struggled to get into the first quarter of this book, perhaps because the initial aspects of the history of networks are quite obscure and aren’t of particular interest to me. However, it is worth persevering because they form an important basis of understanding about how networks have developed over time.

Some of the chapters are disappointingly short, such as those on the history of Silicon Valley and the impact of networks on recent elections. Others as significantly longer. But this book is already quite long and so there was probably a tough editorial decision to be made about what to cover and in what level of detail.

I would’ve liked more of Ferguson’s opinion on what the historical developments mean for current affairs and the future of civilisation, but I suppose for that you have to read his other book: The Great Degeneration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Square and the Tower.

December 1, 2018 – Started Reading