Sarah's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

Jan 13, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: classics, fiction

I saw the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's many years ago, and I thought it might be interesting to read the book. I don't remember the movie that well, but my impression is that the book is much sadder. My memories of the movie are that the main character, Holly Golightly, is glorified and has it all together. In the book, she is in many ways a tragic character. She is still glorified a little bit, but she is also more clearly shown as someone who has constructed a self to replace a neglected and abusive childhood. Honestly, I found her to be a depressing and sad character, and the fact that she is glorified and portrayed as "strong" at all bothered me a little bit -- I had this vague feeling that it was clearly a man's perspective (which it is, both the author and the narrator) and I am not sure a woman author (or narrator, by a good author) would take the same perspective on this story. The writing itself is good, but I can't say overall that I enjoyed this book.

I also read the three short stories included in the edition I read, and they didn't do that much for me. They were also sad, stark portrayals of humanity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

January 13, 2012 – Shelved