Melanie's Reviews > Snow in Love

Snow in Love by Melissa de la Cruz

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, anthologies, romance, buddy-reads, read-in-2018, lgbtqiap

Snow in Love is a heartwarming holiday anthology that just came out at the end of 2018! This is a collection of four short stories, but I truly only recommend two of them. Seriously, this is a wild break down of two five star reads, and two one star reads. But I truly loved two and I hated two. Yet, I also truly believe the Kasie West and Nic Stone’s stories are so good that it would be worth it to pick up this collection, especially if you are in need of a little holiday cheer!

Snow and Mistletoe by Kasie West - ★★★★★
“I got you something…”

Holy shit, this was actual perfection for me. Again, I’ve never read anything by Kasie West before, but this was the most heartwarming holiday story I’ve read in a long time. Yes, it was a bit predictable, but I actually think that aspect sweetened the story and made it even more precious. And this story just had too many things that I personally love in literature; besides being adorable, it is a traveling story, with a snowed-in element, featuring a strong sibling relationship, with a scene in Vegas, and a hotel scene, that is all Christmas themed! Ah, friends, this story just makes me smile so big thinking about it! But the basic premise of this story is that a seventeen-year-old girl named Amalie is stuck in the Denver airport, while surprising her family for Christmas because she realized that studying abroad isn’t for her. But then she sees a familiar face from her old high school, who offers her a ride back home, even though it will take a few days. (Sawyer is high school boyfriend goals, by the way!) I loved this with my entire heart and soul and now I want to read everything by Kasie West!

Working in A Winter Wonderland by Aimee Friedman - ★
“It was a freaking Hanukkah miracle.”

Oh my gosh, this was such a letdown, especially after that last short story. The only really good thing I can say about this is that the main character is Jewish and celebrates Hanukkah. Besides that, yikes. Basically, the main character, Maxine, wants to buy an expensive dress for her best friend’s party, and a guy who she has had a secret crush on since high school, tells her that his father’s department store has an opening. Little does she know, that opening is to be a Christmas Elf. But Maxine is just rude, and negative, and honestly insufferable. Which would be fine, but this is supposed to be a happy holiday feel good book and it just made it feel like a chore to get through. I really disliked this one.

The Magi's Gifts by Melissa De La Cruz - ★
“But she was prettier than the whole lot of them put together…”

Actually, this short story was the worst! How did this happen? What editor decided to put Kasie West’s story first? Maybe I’m just too damn old to be reading about superficial high schoolers? Maybe the Lord is truly testing me? This didn’t give me any holiday feelings at all. Plus, like… combs and hair are a lot different than motorcycles and family heirlooms. Reading about catty girls and high schoolers who think their significant other is their soulmate, while not respecting their wishes to not show PDA, is just not my idea of a good time. I hated every second of this story.

Grounded by Nic Stone - ★★★★★
“Maybe this is exactly what Leigh needed: to get grounded. Literally and otherwise.”

I just want to stay in this happy bubble after reading this story forever. Holy perfection. Nic Stone blows me away with everything she writes, and this short story was no different. It is ownvoices, about two Black girls stuck in ATL airport. We follow Leigh, who is also Jewish, and who has just came out of a break up because she has finally realized that she is a lesbian, and she has known that she was attracted to girls since she was fourteen, when she was on a cruise with another girl who was a family friend. Well, that girl is also snowed-in at the airport, and they are texting and decided to play a game that is like a crossover between I Spy and Hide-and-Seek. This story is told mostly by text messages between Leigh and Harper, but also between Leigh and her best friend, Niecey, who is encouraging her on. But this sweet start to a sapphic romance? I was swooning so hard, so damn hard. And Nic Stone also seamlessly weaves in important themes and topics like systemic racism, and internalized racism. Friends, this was amazing, and I completely recommend it with my whole heart.

I know that these ratings are so polarizing and wild, but they are honest, like always. Maybe there is a way just to purchase the first and last stories of this collection? Because that would be the true holiday blessing! But I gave Snow in Love three stars overall, because out of a possible 20 stars (5 stars possible for each of the 4 stories) this collection accumulated 12 stars (60%)!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

❤⛄ I read this for #TistheSeasonAThon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow in Love.

November 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
November 30, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
November 30, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
December 4, 2018 – Started Reading
December 4, 2018 –
35.0% "Wow, now I literally want to read everything by Kasie West, because that short story was a damn masterpiece. 💗🎁"
December 8, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap
December 8, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by ramuk3 (new)

ramuk3 nice

message 2: by ramuk3 (new)

ramuk3 nice

message 3: by ramuk3 (new)

message 4: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad to see you loved two out of the four, Melanie ;-) Fabulous review, my dear!! 💚❤️💚

Melanie KAS wrote: "Glad to see you loved two out of the four, Melanie ;-) Fabulous review, my dear!! 💚❤️💚"

Awh, thank you so much, sweetheart! I hope you're having happy holidays and happy reading! 💖xx

message 6: by حميد (new)

حميد حجي Hurry

AℳYⒾ ♔♚♛Cofounder of Teens against YA books♛♚♔ AMYzing review, Melanie-chan♥♥!!!

Melanie AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ Magnet of Obese Cats wrote: "AMYzing review, Melanie-chan♥♥!!!"

Thank you so much, Amy love! 💖xx

message 9: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Parker I love Melissa de la Cruz!!! I must read this!

Melanie Heather wrote: "I love Melissa de la Cruz!!! I must read this!"

I hope you love it, Heather! Happy reading and happy holidays! 💖xx

Amanda I just finished this book (well, I couldn’t get through The Magi’s Gift) and came to Goodreads to write this EXACT review, except I would have given Working in a Winter Wonderland two stars, since I was able to finish it after a couple of tries. I’m off to look at your other reviews since we seem to have similar taste.