Steph Warren's Reviews > Facing A Twisted Judgment

Facing A Twisted Judgment by K.J. McGillick

*I received a free copy of this book with thanks to the author and Rachel Gilbey at Rachel’s Random Resources blog tours. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Facing a Twisted Judgment is a police procedural / legal / private investigator crime thriller. It is the second in a series, but can be read as a stand-alone book (as I did) with no issues at all.

The story is mainly told from the viewpoint of Dalia who has given up a legal career and promptly fallen into helping investigate an art theft which may potentially also be a murder. Dalia is efficient and curious, and makes a great centre character around which to run an investigative plot. Her personal life is peripherally involved too, but never takes centre stage as the focus remains tightly on the case (although not necessarily the part of the case that they are supposed to be focusing on!).

We also get intermittent chapters from the inner life of main suspect Alex Clarke, giving the reader insights into the case that the characters don’t have; which is especially interesting when all roads seem to be leading in the same direction. Yet even with this extra help, I still didn’t manage to figure out the solution before the reveal!

Personally I loved the team of Cillian, Jackson, Mary, Lee and Tyler. Their personal and professional dynamics are entertaining and I would happily read about anything this little group of experts investigated.

The reveal was my only minor disappointment, in that after an intricate and complex case, the shocking reveal seemed somewhat rushed and abrupt. I would have liked a more gradual climax to mesh with the pacing of the rest of the book. The final twist, however, left us on a cliffhanger leading on to the next book in the series, with promise of more Mary, which can only be a good thing!

Recommended for all crime fans looking for a new crime series with a Kinsey Millhone feel.

“I have contacted six museums and spoken with their people,” she smiled as if she had the plans for world peace at her fingertips. “I’m going to lend the paintings to the museums, so they can place them on exhibition. In doing this, the museum will be responsible for insurance and security. And, because of this, I can execute some type of legal loophole about the estate taxes that would hit me,” Samantha told me.
Had someone inverted my world? In what universe would someone do such a thing without talking to the person you were marrying in less than twenty-four hours.
I’d reached a crossroad. If I argued with her, she might want to rethink her plans to marry me and think we might not be compatible after all. Or I could wait, and once married, I could catch her in a vulnerable position and make her see things my way. Yes, that was the better plan.
“Well, that is very noble and something worth considering,” I said.
We were about to have another drink of champagne when we heard a pounding at the front door along with the simultaneous ringing of the bell. Then, the shouting began.

– K. J. McGillick, Facing a Twisted Judgment

Review by Steph Warren of Bookshine and Readbows blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facing A Twisted Judgment.

November 30, 2018 – Started Reading
November 30, 2018 – Shelved
December 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

K.J. McGillick Thank you for taking the time to review