Denis's Reviews > Living with the Truth

Living with the Truth by Jim  Murdoch

liked it
Recommended to Denis by: Carrie

Living with the Truth is an existential look into an almost spent, middle-aged man’s life. Jonathan Payne, encouraged by the often annoying, all-knowing cynic, and yet endearing Mr. Truth, is forced to re-examine his past and present, to see if his life has indeed been well spent.

There is sarcasm, a little buffoonery, and wit to the voice and feel of this story. I was reminded, a little, of Beckett’s Waiting For Godot. At first, I was a little wary and was expecting a story drenched with introspection and navel gazing. But, no. Jim Murdoch takes a potentially heavy topic, man’s death, creates a potentially mawkish antagonist, Mr. Truth, and with humour, skill, and tenderness, he pulls if off quite nicely.

On a philosophical/existential level, the reader may, or may not buy into the mystical or quasi-religious aspects of the world Jim Murdoch creates, but it’s a well crafted world and a good read. I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living with the Truth.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Rosemary Denis, your review is on the mark. Murdoch is a witty and intelligent writer. I, too, enjoyed much of the interaction between Jonathan Payne and Truth--and I enjoyed the speculations the book inspires: What if Truth came to visit me or someone close to me?

Denis I probably wouldn't let him in, at first. But then he'd tempt me with something like scotch on the rocks, and then I'd submit. That sly devil. ;)