Gail Welborn's Reviews > Chosen for Such a Time: Terrorism in the White House

Chosen for Such a Time by Maryann Remsburg

bookshelves: reviews

***an unusual biblical tale of political intrigue, duplicity and romance set in modern America***

Maryann Remberg’s exciting debut novel, “Chosen for Such a Time: Terrorism in the Whitehouse” is an unusual tale of political intrigue, duplicity and romance patterned after the biblical story of Esther set in modern America.

The story includes multiple main characters such as Messianic Jew and beautiful political science student Esther Thompson, namesake of biblical Queen Esther; her secret cousin Mordecai Allenby who she calls Uncle Cai in private; immature United States President Alexander Susa, and Philip Stone, the diabolical White House Chief of Staff who rivals Haman’s biblical treachery.

The fast-paced story begins in a college level political science classroom where nuclear issues with Iran, Russia and North Korea are debated, topics that reveal Esther’s unpopular pro-Israel attitude. At this point Esther doesn’t know her Jewish heritage will soon place her in the middle of a deadly White House conspiracy.

Add an emotionally driven playboy president whose current wife details the president’s shortcomings at a press conference that brings scandalous publicity. Presidential advisors who say, “…either you will be destroyed by these comments or she must be.” And the political manipulations begin that bring about divorce and a sensational “nationwide search for” an appropriate presidential wife setting the stage for a fascinating story of terrorism, romance and political intrigue that keeps pages turning long after lights should go out.

However, I almost didn’t read the book due to multiple first-person viewpoints which I initially found confusing. An editor told me multiple first-person perspectives were unusual especially for first-time authors, yet due to the compelling plot I was encouraged to continue reading and I’m glad I did. It’s a riveting story that showcases what can be expected from this author in the future. The story does not disappoint and is more than worth the initial confusion.

‘Chosen for Such A Time: Terrorism in the White House,’ by Maryann Remsburg, Maryann Remsburg Publisher, 2018, 332 Pages, 978-0692057698, $12.95

“Gail’s Bookshelf” Midwest Book Reviews: "September 2018"
Google+GailWelborn
Pinterest: GailWelborn
Twitter: @GailWelborn
FaceBook: Gail Welborn
FaceBook Reviews: Gail Welborn

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chosen for Such a Time.

November 30, 2018 – Started Reading