Michael's Reviews > Me Talk Pretty One Day

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

bookshelves: 2018

My full review, as well as my other thoughts on reading, can be found on my blog.

A collection of humor essays on speech and language, Me Talk Pretty One Day is David Sedaris’s most focused work as well as his most famous. The collection brings together stories describing the author’s family and childhood, travel writings addressing his move to France, and personal pieces reflecting on his aimlessness as a young adult. From recounting his experience of speech therapy as an elementary student to recalling his first gig teaching language and writing, Sedaris covers many subjects without straying from the collection’s theme. His writing is sarcastic and self-indulgent, and it’s better listened to than read. The collection isn’t life changing, but it passes the time nicely on a long commute or at work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me Talk Pretty One Day.

Started Reading
November 30, 2018 – Shelved
November 30, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 14, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Vanessa I haven't read some of his new ones, but this was my favorite Sedaris.

Michael I think it’s my favorite of his as well. He’s one of those writers who keeps writing the same book over and over, but this felt the most original. I might read a few more, just because his books make for easy listening while mindlessly entering data at work.

Vanessa Agreed. They are light and funny (and good for the darkest month of the year.)

ALBERT H This one was full on hilarious to me.

Ivonne Rovira I loved this book. Well, I love all of Sedaris' books.

message 6: by Fionnuala (new) - added it

Fionnuala Agree that it must be better to listen to Sedaris than to read him . I found the humour in this one a bit dead on the page.

Michael I can see what you mean, Fionnuala. I read one of the chapters in a bookstore the other day, and it didn't have the same effect - his style reads as very simple, in a way that it doesn't when heard.