Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The Toll

The Toll by Neal Shusterman

bookshelves: 2019, audible, best-2019, fantasy, sci-fi, trilogy

"There can be no ferry without a ferryman."

My review will contain some spoilers.

*************************************
SPOILERS

SPOILERS

What a wonderful and nerve-racking end to the Scythe trilogy!

I was happy with the conclusion of The Toll and how everyone I cared about was left standing.

When Thunderhead ended, our hero and heroine were left at the bottom of the ocean. The world thought of Scythe Anastasia and Scythe Lucifer as dead and gone.

Three years have gone by before from a salvage trip to Endura's wreckage, more than just the Scythe diamonds are recovered. Scythe Anastasia and Lucifer are alive! But not for long if Scythe Goddard has anything to say and do about it.

Scythe Goddard, now His Excellency, High Blade Robert Goddard of MidMerica, has used these past three years to change the rules and to bend the other Scythedoms to his will. More and more, other Scythedoms are following in his steps. Mass gleanings are happening and no one seems to go against Goddard. Then, Rowan and Citra are back. Goddard doesn't wait any time in trying to get a hold of Rowan while Citra as Scythe Anastasia tries to find a way to bring him down.

The Toll brings in new characters but the one I love the most was Jerico. Jeri, the captain of the salvage ship was smart and conniving when she/he needed to be.

Even though the trilogy has ended, It doesn't mean it was able to answer all my questions. I was left with many of them.

Here are a few:

Why did Greyson have to stop talking to the Thunderhead? Was it to force him to stop calling the rest of humanity unsavories? and does it make sense to leave this type of entity on its own?

How come no one learns the truth about Endura, At the end of the book, it's not even implied that Rowan was innocent or that his name has been cleared. It might matter to his family that he was not the evil one.

Did Scythe Rand end up falling in love with Tyger or she was feeling guilty about what she did to him? Is the construct able to develop new emotions or is he just going to stay with the memories of the past, never to learn that she had a lot to do with his new body and what happened to him and to Scythe Lucifer?

What happened with Scythe Michael Faraday and Munira?

As I said earlier, I was left with many questions.

Despite all of my questions, I thoroughly enjoyed this trilogy.

Cliffhanger: No

4.5/5 Fangs

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Toll.

November 30, 2018 – Shelved
December 30, 2019 – Shelved as: best-2019
December 30, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 30, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
December 30, 2019 – Shelved as: trilogy

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!! So glad you enjoyed this trilogy!

Sheyla ✎ Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!! wrote: "So glad you enjoyed this trilogy!"
I loved it. Can't wait to see it as a movie.