Bibiana Krall's Reviews > Christmas in Prague

Christmas in Prague by Rick Pryll

Christmas in Prague is a great introduction to the next chapter of Joseph’s slightly neurotic, and romantic adventures in the Czech Republic that began with his first novel, The Chimera of Prague and we are allowed to observe the main character grow up a little and mature.

This story begins during the holiday season and a surprise, as in a young woman; Karina whom the main character has his eye on is now a supermodel in a red fur hat and a bustier like a sexy Santa’s helper splashed on every marquee and magazine in town.

“Krampus held his burlap sack open. He waved a piece of coal in my face. The angel in the push-up bra pushed forward, her hands folded together holding a basket of rock candy. A lace dress, sky blue eyeshadow and giant wings on her back. I reached out and took a piece of candy. “

This portion explaining a typical December street scene made me laugh out loud. It perfectly describes the way I feel when seeing an alternate view of a traditional religious holiday with the extra sex appeal thrown in that you’ll only find in that part of the world. It transported me there immediately.

“I wondered if she’d smell like apple shampoo, like that day at the club months ago, or something different.” Ah Joseph hasn’t changed much from his last story, but at the very least he’s not saying these things out loud anymore.

Then we see that he actually has changed. He turns a woman down. A gorgeous one who is more than willing to sleep with him with no strings.

Only with talented author Rick Pryll would we have supermodels, Dr. Zhivago, traditional recipes as a bonus in the back of the book for Czech holiday food, a character named Naked Pete and Joseph’s mother on the phone talking about black sweatpants. If you enjoy literary fiction, ironic wit and realism delivered with a heaping spoonful of European culture. You will love this one.

Veselé Vánoce. Merry Christmas.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christmas in Prague.

Finished Reading