Madeleine's Reviews > Becoming

Becoming by Michelle Obama

20603646

bookshelves: 2019-reads, audio, x-memoir-nonfiction

I'm not usually interested in politics, but in today's world, it's become a necessity. I was only 17 when Barack Obama was first elected, so I didn't know much about him or his family. This memoir was very interesting and I learned a lot about both the Obamas, and what it's like to be in politics.

I really enjoyed about the first 3/4 of this book. I loved learning about Michelle's childhood, her beginnings, her relationship with Barack. There were some fun tidbits about how Michelle didn't want Barack to be in politics, the balance of being a working mother. I especially found myself highlighting passages and relating to Mrs. Obama as the wife of a powerful career man. My husband is not in politics, he is a surgeon, but we have had our share of "Are you on the way home like you're in the car or on your way home like state of mind?" texts.

The last few chapters dragged on a bit too long for me. As I said, I'm not inherently into politics, so I mostly enjoyed learning behind the scenes of a political campaign and what life was like in the White House -- not the various initiatives the Obamas put forth during their terms. Also, while Barack's successor is a hateful, spiteful, evil man, to hear Michelle Obama shade him and talk so negatively about him so OPENLY feels disjointed with the overall uplifting and strong message of the book.

I love when audiobooks are narrated by their author, and this was no exception. I don't read nonfiction that often, and probably would have given up on this book if I had not been listening to it on audio.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming.

November 29, 2018 – Shelved