Optimist ♰King's Wench♰'s Reviews > Between the Lines

Between the Lines by Sally Malcolm

bookshelves: boys-who-like-boys, contemporary, lgbtq, own-it-baby, haters

✚✚✚4.5✚✚✚

It happened again. Except this time my face leaked a lil.

Seriously, who and where in the hell did this Sally Malcolm person come from? She's gone 3 for 3!

It's her penchant for the enemies to lovers trope and the masterful way she builds tension that appeals but the way she wields words to craft characters and create the atmosphere of this sleepy little Long Island town that hits my feels with laser-like precision every time that's landed her on my auto-author list with lightening speed.

This time we have Luca and Theo.

Luca is kind of a beach bum who bounces around the country with his surfboard never far away. He's the ultimate rolling stone. On the surface. Underneath that feckless exterior lies hidden depths and a broken heart.

Theo is driven, no nonsense and comes across a bit sanctimonious. He's posh and buttoned-up. But underneath lies the heart of a romantic.

I liked both of them but I really loved Theo for too many reasons to count.

Their journey from enemies to lovers is one I'll not soon forget and will likely have to reread for the comfort of not just Theo and Luca but New Milton.

New Milton is hard to resist. The town is charming and I love catching up with its inhabitants. I can't wait to see who'll be next to fall in love in this series and get on the Sally Malcolm Express to Feelstown again.

Speaking of, you could technically read this one as a stand alone but I'd recommend at least reading Perfect Day beforehand as Finn and Josh have a fairly significant role here.

Recommend to readers who enjoy enemies to loves, loads of tension, don't mind a little miscommunication and maybe are a card carrying member of the Squishy Marshmallow Club.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Lines.

November 29, 2018 – Shelved
December 22, 2018 – Started Reading
December 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

* A Reader Obsessed * Looking forward to reading the rest of her stuff! Glad this was a hit!

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Hopefully they'll be a hit for you too, R! xx

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Are you a Stargate fan? That's what she's known for.

Judith Yes baby! Great review,she's fast becoming one of my fav Authors.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Kathleen wrote: "Are you a Stargate fan? That's what she's known for."

Stargate? The tv show? Like she was on it or she was a writer for it?

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Judith wrote: "Yes baby! Great review,she's fast becoming one of my fav Authors."

Thanks Jude! I’m a little late to the party but better late than never, right?

⚣Michaelle⚣ She wrote quite a few Stargate novels...I actually found a couple in the used book store, so now I have a great reason to read them!

Ricardo It’s really interesting how she seems to have switched genres (from science fiction to M/M Romance) but she sure writes well, doesn’t she?

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ ⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣ wrote: "She wrote quite a few Stargate novels...I actually found a couple in the used book store, so now I have a great reason to read them!"

Indeed. Let me know if they’re some squishy marshmallowness in them.

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ Ricardo wrote: "It’s really interesting how she seems to have switched genres (from science fiction to M/M Romance) but she sure writes well, doesn’t she?"

She sure does! I’m excited to see what she comes up with next.

message 11: by ⚣Michaelle⚣ (new)

⚣Michaelle⚣ Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion wrote: "⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣ wrote: "She wrote quite a few Stargate novels...I actually found a couple in the used book store, so now I have a great reason to read them!"

Indeed. Let me know if they’re some ..."

They're sort of considered canon, so unlike the scads of fanfic I read (and cut my writing teeth on) there's no MM. I'd be surprised, pleasantly so, if there was. (Of course I switched my slash allegiance from Jack/Daniel to Cam/Daniel - because HOT! - in season 9, so that's even less likely.) But her bio says she only started MM in 2016 and her last SG novel was that same year...so probably no secret slashing. Unlike Joe Malozzi with his abandoned idea for a hinted at relationship for Ripple Effect with Cam/Daniel.

Aaaaaaaaand now I've completely outed myself as a scifi slash nerd.

(Full disclosure, I'm also a fan of slash Firefly fanfic.)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ I've no clue what any of this means. The only Jack & Daniel I know is the Kentucky variety that comes in a glass. 🥃

Regardless, your secret is safe with me.