Julie's Reviews > In Dog We Trust

In Dog We Trust by Beth Kendrick

bookshelves: 2019, berkley, contemporary-fiction, e-book, netgalley, animals-and-pets

In Dog We Trust by Beth Kendrick is a 2019 Berkley publication.

The tourist season is beginning in Black Dog Bay. The wealthy who ‘summer’ here are filtering in, which means Jocelyn Hillier, who runs a laundry service for the tourists is busy, especially now that her mother is recovering from surgery.

But, it’s Jocelyn’s other job as a dog walker and sitter for Mr. Allardyce which unexpectedly turns her life upside down.

When Mr. Allardyce suddenly dies, he leaves his fortune to his dogs, and names Jocelyn as their guardian, propelling her into a life of ease. But Mr. Allardyce’ estranged son, Liam, has decided to contest the will. However, he never counted on Jocelyn’s determination to honor Mr. Allardyce’s will or her will to fight for a new way of life.

If things weren’t complicated enough, Jocelyn and Liam discover that although they are legal adversaries, they happen to like one another- a lot!!

This is a sweet, light, and mildly fluffy story about family, class distinctions, and compromise. There is heartbreak along the way, but ultimately this is a book that will lift your spirits and leave you feeling upbeat, which is something we could all use a lot more of. The romance is sweet, with only a mild angst, despite the circumstances. Also, there are dogs- and who doesn’t love a story that features dogs?

Jocelyn is a terrific character, and I cheered for her from start to finish. The supporting cast is outstanding, each pulling their share of the load, and adding something special or important to the story.

When I close a book with a big goofy grin on my face, I owe the author a debt of gratitude for cheering me up and sending me a few much- needed positive vibes. Some will scoff and claim it is not realistic, but lets look at it a little closer-

The feel -good ending here didn’t just magically work out on its own. The characters each had to concede something or contribute something. They all had to consider the viewpoint of others involved, which requires work, patience, and maturity. Things don’t always turn out like we hope they will in life, but when people work together the results are often better than one could have thought possible.

I’d say it paid off nicely for them. Their example is one we could all learn from. The message is just as important as those presented with a heavier tone or in a more dramatic way. So, to say it isn't possible for people to settle disputes, or conflict in a civil manner, or that love doesn't factor in it, sells us all short, in my opinion.

You may notice this is a part of a series, but this book can be read as a stand-alone. However, I think it would be fun to read the previous installments and of course I will be sure to catch any future chapters in this series, especially since Black Dog Bay is the best place to recover from a heartbreak. You may arrive with a frown, but you’ll leave with a smile- and that’s good enough for me!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Dog We Trust.

November 29, 2018 – Shelved
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: e-book
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
January 8, 2019 – Shelved as: animals-and-pets
June 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS This cover alone puts a huge smile on your face ;)) So glad you enjoyed, Julie, and wonderful review!! 😘❤️😘

Julie KAS wrote: "This cover alone puts a huge smile on your face ;)) So glad you enjoyed, Julie, and wonderful review!! 😘❤️😘"

Thank you, dear KAS!! Those puppies are too cute! 🐶💕

Farah ファラ Very good review, Julie. How often did you glance at the cover?

Julie Farah ファラ wrote: "Very good review, Julie. How often did you glance at the cover?"

Thank you, Farah!! As often as possible!! 🐶😁

message 5: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, Julie! This sounds cute!

Julie Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! This sounds cute!"

Thank you, Meredith!! It was adorable! 🤗

message 7: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review Julie!!💋😉💖👍

Julie Kat wrote: "Excellent review Julie!!💋😉💖👍"

Thank you, Kat!! 🤗💕

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Aww now that is the cutest puppy! Fantastic review Julie! 💞🌹

Julie Nicola wrote: "Aww now that is the cutest puppy! Fantastic review Julie! 💞🌹"

Thank you, Nicola!! 💕🤗

message 11: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fantastic review! What an adorable book cover! I love the gifs you used for your review Julie, especially the cute dog one! :))

Julie Sandra wrote: "Fantastic review! What an adorable book cover! I love the gifs you used for your review Julie, especially the cute dog one! :))"

Thank you, Sandra!! That puppy is soooo cute! 🐶

message 13: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fabulous review Julie! ❤️The cover!,

message 14: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi I need a good read that ends with a smile on my face!!

Vaishali • [Vicarious Living] Another great review Julie :)
Your reviews are always so well written and intriguing <3

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fabulous review Julie! ❤️The cover!,"

Thank you, Kaceey!! The cover!! Too cute! 💕

Julie Heidi wrote: "I need a good read that ends with a smile on my face!!"

Thank you, Heidi!! I think it's healthy to read a 'feel good' story once in a while! 💕

Julie Vaishali • [Vicarious Living] wrote: "Another great review Julie :)
Your reviews are always so well written and intriguing <3"

Thank you, dear Vaishali!! 💕

Holly  B Wonderful review Julie!

Julie Holly wrote: "Wonderful review Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 💕

Kimberly Dawn Irresistible review, Julie, which made me smile!