Robert Owens's Reviews > Monster Blood II

Monster Blood II by R.L. Stine

it was ok
bookshelves: goosebumps, fiction, horror, public-library

It has been a while since I read the first Monster Blood, so I had forgotten a bunch of the details. As I read on, I remembered enough to appreciate the re-introduction of Andy.

This book fascinated me in one regard. As an elementary teacher and a parent, my attitude toward the behaviors in this book certainly have changed. This book was written early in my career. I would have thought it was funny then. I didn't find humor and I note that the bullying is . . . well, bullying. I would have never used that word 20+ years ago and would have thought nothing of it. But Carl's actions were downright mean. It's not that I have anything against Stine for how he wrote, but I bet it would have been written differently today after all the bullying complaints, etc. that have occurred in the intervening decades. Yeah, I know, a buzzkill.

Mr. Murray doesn't appear to be the best adult either. And even Evan and Andy breaking into the house seemed so implausible. Well then, I suppose monster blood is as implausible as anything.

All put together, wasn't my favorite story. Mutant class hamsters et al. don't hold an appeal. And while I can see the teacher wanting to recognize Evan for "saving the day", giving him the prized hamster seemed unusual . . . as did no one commenting how Evan had grown so large himself.

Oh, well. Stine's little twist at the end put a smile on my face. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster Blood II.

November 29, 2018 – Started Reading