G.J. Griffiths's Reviews > The Bastard Boys of Montezuma

The Bastard Boys of Montezuma by Jaromy Henry

liked it
bookshelves: amusing, historical-fiction, my-reviews, westerns
Read 2 times. Last read November 29, 2018.

Set in 1896 this western has an interesting theme with the two main characters as the mature progeny of Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp. They have a detective agency in a tough town with the story being told by Cash Holliday who is equally proficient with a six gun as his father was reputed to be. The main characters are quite well drawn and so are some of the less desirable individuals they meet along the way in their adventurous quest. At the start of the story and at later points I found some of the language and terms used to be a bit too contemporary, even tame at times. I felt sure that more vernacular, maybe bad, language would have been common in those times and settings. Admittedly the heroes seem to be a lot more articulate in their speech and often eager to express themselves as lucid and educated but it felt at odds with their situation. The author may have intended it that way in the plot, or the targeted readers maybe include young readers as well as adults. For me the story could have been more “gritty” in its dialogue. However, it has to be acknowledged that this is a very exciting story with plenty of the expected gunfights. Cash and Marshall Earp (yes, that is his name in the novel) encounter a few people from history that the reader would probably have heard about, even in the UK; such as the Pinkerton Detective Agency and Butch Cassidy along with his expected sidekick. There were the occasional slow sections in the tale when Cash became quite eloquent in his long discourse, either to the reader, or another character, to explain events. But then fighting outlaws or the attempts to save a threatened female character provided a required balance of sorts. Overall, if you like novels in the western genre, then this book is certainly worth a look. I’m not sure if it is quite up to Zane Grey’s “Riders of the Purple Sage” but it certainly qualifies for action, intriguing characters and plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bastard Boys of Montezuma.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
November 29, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: amusing (Paperback Edition)
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: historical-fiction (Paperback Edition)
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: my-reviews (Paperback Edition)
November 29, 2018 – Shelved as: westerns (Paperback Edition)
November 29, 2018 – Shelved