Alisha's Reviews > Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls

Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls by T Kira Madden

If I could give this memoir all the stars in the world, I would. It wrecked me hard and slowly put me back together again. I can’t put much more into words to do this any justice, so I’ll leave you with hers.

“The two of us dip our legs in the water, sit on the lip of the pool. When I think of my father, I think of my heart breaking in stages. A dull pain, then piercing. Electric. Still, somehow, gradual. The way his legs look in this swimming pool today—that’s the first stage of my grief. Even the blue bloat of water doesn’t make them look any stronger, or more capable, than a child’s.

One thing I’d change, he says, is that I never did teach my daughter to swim.”

“But that mother-daughter thing—I believe in it now. It’s something that can spool out forever like a string between two cups. A thread that will hum when you need it.

“We look too young for this.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Live the Tribe of Fatherless Girls.

November 28, 2018 – Started Reading
November 28, 2018 – Shelved
January 3, 2019 –
page 115
34.23% "“Your father was never a great father, but, when sober, he was always a great man. He was the person who loved you most, and, fifteen years later when he dies, when you’re talking to that rocking chair in New Hampshire hoping it is he who has possessed it, you consider this moment in the car—how the trajectory of your life and your relationship to him could have changed had you told him the truth.”"
January 9, 2019 – Finished Reading