Denae Christine's Reviews > Magician's Gambit

Magician's Gambit by David Eddings

Jan 12, 2012

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, listened-to, noblebright
Read from February 04 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy

The tension in this series in unbelievable. Seriously. I can't even analyze why I'm so anxious to finish it. The characters are rarely hurt physically, and they get out of serious danger quickly. Maybe I'm so drawn to the books and characters because everyone is so fleshed out that they seem real. The fact that they are not nearly dying at every turn makes the series seem more realistic than the super-exciting books with the dramatic battles all the time.

Also, anything can happen in this world. Anything. Manifestation of a god? It's happened 2 or 3 times now. Epic magical battle? 2 or 3 times. Attack of strange, bloodthirsty creatures? 3 or 4 times. King's life in danger? 2 or 3 times. Crossing fully-described, alien terrain? Constantly (swamp to mountains to desert in just this book). Betrayed? Split up? Save a slave? Kill a murderer? Explore tunnels? Avoid capture? Explode a castle? It has all happened. And I love the possibilities.

Oh, and sometimes I want more things to happen to Garion, but that would make him too much Mary Sue/Marty Stu. The fact that he's important, in the midst of 10 other important characters, is enough. Everyone has a story. Everyone has a purpose, and a specialty, and a bit of a prophecy. Garion's is just the most interesting.

Now, my hurt-all-the-characters-to-the-point-of-death desire is not very satisfied, but my read-a-unique-epic-fantasy-book desire is fulfilled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magician's Gambit.

09/05/2016 marked as: read