Leslie Lindsay's Reviews > My Lovely Wife

My Lovely Wife by Samantha  Downing

5 juicy stars to this tautly paced, all-encompassing deliciously dark domestic suspense, MY LOVELY WIFE (Berkley, March 26 2019) will capture and ensnare and have you looking twice at your neighbors.

Truly stunning, jaw-dropping, and so engrossing, you simply cannot look away. That's what debut author, Samantha Downing, is so skilled at in her debut--this is a debut, people!--and you absolutely have to read it.

Here's the thing: it's dark. It's twisted, but on the surface, it's oh-so-saccharine. Married for 15 years, Millicent and her unnamed husband, the protagonist/narrator have found themselves in a slightly boring marriage. They have two kids, a boy and a girl who are on the cusp of adolescence. It's a nice life in a nice suburban area of Florida where everyone goes to work and then home for a pre-planned dinner. There's soccer and tennis lessons and Millicent sells real estate.

But MY LOVELY WIFE is a powerhouse of a novel. It's about drama, a marriage, kids out of control, and the news media; it's also about the folks next door, who just happen to be killing women for sport.

Or, are they? There's definitely some planning and premeditation. And maybe someone in this partnership is more sinister than the other. Or maybe they're just in over their head? MY LOVELY WIFE is an effortless page-turner. I simply couldn't put it down. The way Downing braids past and present and keeps the reader sort of brooding in the past is masterful.

The writing is simple, but the plot is complex, the structure is intense and the pace, relentless.

Everyone loves learning the ending/twist...and I will say there's a sort of poetic justice and things end on a slightly ambiguous note, and this makes it even the more sinister, in my opinion. Seriously, do yourself a favor.

Those who like the work of Mary Kubica (especially THE GOOD GIRL), Shari Lapena (just about all of them, but maybe especially AN UNWANTED GUEST), AN ANONYMOUS GIRL (Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkannen) and yep--GONE GIRL (Gillian Flynn)--which I don't often like to use as a comparison, because, you know, GONE GIRL.

For all my reviews, including author interviews, please see: www.leslielindsay.com | Always with a Book

Special thanks to Berkley Publishers for this review copy; all thoughts are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lovely Wife.

November 28, 2018 – Shelved