Matthew's Reviews > Clue

Clue by Paul Allor
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
16254355
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: 2018, graphic-novel, humor, library, mystery

I have always loved the board game Clue. My wife and I play what we call “Cuthroat Clue” which involves taking pages of notes and trying to make sense out of every eye twitch, throat clearing, etc. Because of this, many people won’t play Clue with us! But, even when no one would play, there is always the classic 80s comedy movie version of the game to fall back on. When I saw that there is a graphic novel, I had to check it out.



The graphic novel is just plain fun goofiness. The three main elements influencing it are (not subtly) modern pop culture, current political/financial scandal, and the 80s movie. The 4th wall is not safe in this as it is frequently broken to address the reader. So many tongue-in-cheek jokes, famous movie quotes, and characters that are obviously caricatures of real people that it is almost as fun to try and figure out the references as it is determining whodunit!



The art is pretty good. It’s somewhat impressionistic, but crisp when close up. I thought one of the coolest aspects is all the alternative covers done by a variety of artists. With all the different characters and colors to play with, the results are fun to look at.



I cannot say that your experience will be the same as mine if you go into this with certain expectations. I have been looking at some other reviews and it appears that some who had fond memories of the 80s movie were not impressed with this story. I think if you go in expecting silly goofiness, and don’t need it to meet any specific expectation, you will have a good time!

109 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clue.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Finished Reading
November 28, 2018 – Shelved
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: graphic-novel
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: humor
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: library
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: mystery

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shaina (new) - added it

Shaina Oh that’s funny. You and your wife and how you play. That sounds like lots of fun actually. Haha.


Matthew Shaina wrote: "Oh that’s funny. You and your wife and how you play. That sounds like lots of fun actually. Haha."

I think it is a lot of fun, but many ruined friendships don't agree! ;););):D


message 3: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Haha... Sounds like we play clue a lot alike. My husband hates to play with me because he says I treat it like a criminal case and pull out my "lawyer card" and proceed to interrogate everyone. He doesn't get it. I don't trust people when they say they do not have a clue card to show me ---I'm always suspect. 😹😹


Matthew Theresa wrote: "Haha... Sounds like we play clue a lot alike. My husband hates to play with me because he says I treat it like a criminal case and pull out my "lawyer card" and proceed to interrogate everyone. He ..."

Exactly! One of my favorite things to do is start of the game with a room, weapon, and person that I have in my hand. So, when everyone else says they don't have a card, it starts raising some serious suspicions!


message 5: by Dita (new)

Dita We played Clue with the kids this weekend after we put up the tree. Funny!


Matthew Dita wrote: "We played Clue with the kids this weekend after we put up the tree. Funny!"

Awesome! Sounds like the perfect after-tree event! I cannot wait until my kids are old enough for me to teach them Clue!


Matthew leslie hamod wrote: "Such an impressive review!"

Aw, shucks . . . Thanks, Leslie!😃


Unabridged Bibliophile Hey! Paul lives in my town and is friends with my buddy who owns our local comic shop. Plus he used to work with my husband. Small world of Indiana. :)


Matthew Unabridged Bibliophile wrote: "Hey! Paul lives in my town and is friends with my buddy who owns our local comic shop. Plus he used to work with my husband. Small world of Indiana. :)"

Cool! Wait, where in Indiana? I am in Indiana!


message 10: by Sara (new)

Sara In the U.K. we call it Cluedo. No idea why, but after Monopoly it’s definitely one of my favourite board games! I never knew there was a novel!


Unabridged Bibliophile Matthew wrote: "Unabridged Bibliophile wrote: "Hey! Paul lives in my town and is friends with my buddy who owns our local comic shop. Plus he used to work with my husband. Small world of Indiana. :)"

Cool! Wait, ..."


Kokomo


Matthew Sara wrote: "In the U.K. we call it Cluedo. No idea why, but after Monopoly it’s definitely one of my favourite board games! I never knew there was a novel!"

Interesting about Cluedo - sounds like the reason for that is worth Googling! 😃


Matthew Unabridged Bibliophile wrote: "Matthew wrote: "Unabridged Bibliophile wrote: "Hey! Paul lives in my town and is friends with my buddy who owns our local comic shop. Plus he used to work with my husband. Small world of Indiana. :..."

Small world, indeed! I live just south of Indianapolis. This past summer my family went camping up near Logansport. I don't know anyone in Kokomo, but we have driven through there a few times when headed up north.


message 14: by Melki (new)

Melki There's a stand-up comedian who does a great joke about the writers pitching the TV show Hogan's Heroes to CBS:

"It's set in a German POW camp! Yeah, it's a COMEDY."

It must have been similar for the creators of Clue:

"It's a board game about . . . MURDER. Fun for the whole family!"


Matthew Melki wrote: "There's a stand-up comedian who does a great joke about the writers pitching the TV show Hogan's Heroes to CBS:

"It's set in a German POW camp! Yeah, it's a COMEDY."

It must have been similar f..."


HA! That's a good one! What's more fun than getting the family together and playing a game about MURDER! :)


Matthew leslie hamod wrote: "Matthew, no thanks necessary! You are always welcome!💚"

😃😃😃


message 17: by Brandice (new)

Brandice I loveee the game Clue as well! Great review Matthew, this does sound fun! :)


Matthew Brandice wrote: "I loveee the game Clue as well! Great review Matthew, this does sound fun! :)"

Thanks, Brandice! :)


message 19: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Matthew have you ever considered a career as a publicist? You certainly can sell a book my friend...


Matthew Sara wrote: "Matthew have you ever considered a career as a publicist? You certainly can sell a book my friend..."

Ha! Why thank you - maybe I should consider it . . .

One thing I do like to do is see what the overall feel for a book is and see how it different from my feelings. If it different, I like to try and mention why I feel different. I always hope that might make some give it a chance instead of going with first impressions from reviews. Goodreads has made reviewing almost as fun as reading!


Nicole (Read Eat Sleep Repeat) I love Clue!! The game and the movie! I’m going to have to check this out now...


Matthew Nicole wrote: "I love Clue!! The game and the movie! I’m going to have to check this out now..."

I hope you enjoy, Nicole!😁


back to top