Nikki 's Reviews > The Invisible Library

The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

bookshelves: fantasy, dragons
Read 3 times. Last read August 3, 2018.

Reviewed for The Bibliophibian.

Another reread! Mostly because I felt like it, and partly to refresh my memory of the series to read The Lost Plot. It remains tons of fun: heists, steampunk trappings, magic, dragons, fae and most importantly, books. I love Vale and Kai and the way they interact with each other and with Irene, and Alberich remains a creep-as-heck villain (come on, he impersonates people by wearing their skin). The whole lore of the worlds, the way Fae work and the way that chaos/order affect magic… that all makes a good background for a story that ticks along at a fast clip. It feels like Cogman’s put everything and the kitchen sink into these books (especially with the more sci-fi trappings of some of the other worlds) and it works.

Above all, I think, I love the fact that the people who work for the Library genuinely love books. That’s one of their chief motivations in life. They’re not after keeping the worlds in order, just after books — on the surface, at least, and definitely for the junior Librarians like Irene — and that’s just… fun, nice to read, because in that secret kid part of you that hoped for a Hogwart’s letter (if you’re that kind of person), maybe you could be a Librarian…

So yeah. No surprises I’m giving it a high rating again. It’s not perfect, perhaps, but it’s so much fun.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Library.

April 28, 2015 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
July 24, 2015 – Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
July 24, 2015 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2016 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
December 10, 2016 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading