Jena Henry's Reviews > The Road to Alexander

The Road to Alexander by Jennifer Macaire

Now here’s a new occupation that might intrigue you. How would you like to be a Time Journalist? Three hundred years from now, you could have this exciting occupation. You would have the opportunity to travel back in time and interview a real person from history. You will be well-prepared, with a detailed and accurate costume and appearance, and a chip will be installed in your brain so you can speak and understand the language of the time. The actual journey through time and back is a bit rough, but what an experience! Due to the scientific constraints, you can only spend 20 hours in the past with your interview subject.

And so this is how our heroine, Ashley, finds herself in 300 B. C. Persia searching for the historical figure that she has read about, studied and loved- Alexander the Great! She begins to walk in the hot air and soon comes to the enormous army encampment. She is able to locate Alexander and spend time with him.“I looked at the man I had read about three thousand years in the future, and he smiled at me.”

Ashley is immediately attracted to his amazing looks and his overwhelming presence and authority. Twenty hours won’t be enough time to be with him! Well, thanks to an unforeseen problem, Ashley doesn’t leave at the appointed time and she must spend the rest of her life stuck in the ancient time. She goes from big city life and all the amenities of the future, to life with a donkey, a tent, a large army and Alexander.

History geeks- this book will entrance you. The author blends the sights, and sounds of daily life with historical places and people. It’s fun to experience what we now know as ancient ruins, when they were first built. I was glad that the book didn’t get too caught up in the details of time travel, or the difficulties of life as a modern person in a vastly different time, but rather sought to explore the passion and feelings of Ancient Greece. Exciting moments mix with everyday life in this fluid and engaging story.

I will point out that the love between Alexander and Ashley is portrayed vividly and frequently. Also, the minutiae of daily life, while fascinating, does slow down the plot. Readers who enjoy history and strong characters will enjoy this story. This book is the first in what is now a six-part series.

“This was the secret behind his success. Alexander knew no limits and he made everyone around him believe in the impossible.”

Thanks to Rachel’s Random Resources for a review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to Alexander.

Finished Reading