Verity (The Cosy Reading Nest)'s Reviews > Louis & Louise

Louis & Louise by Julie Cohen

bookshelves: received-for-review, popularcontemporary

I received an e-ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Julie Cohen's writing is utterly wonderful. From the opening pages I was struck by her way with words and the way she approached this idea of following one person's life and exploring the differences that might occur if they were born male or female.

It's a fairly simple concept, and yet could have been misrepresented so easily. Julie Cohen manages to delve into this topic exquisitely and with sensitivity. Louis/Louise has the same best friends, the same love interests, and the same ambitions and the book really focuses on how society imposes it's ideas of gender on a person, rather than a person's soul being in some way changed just because of their gender.

Lou's life story is for the most part a sad one, full of secrets and hurt which at points left me heartbroken and in tears. The emotion within the writing was so rich and believable it was impossible not to get swept up in it. I was so invested in Lou's story that I found myself reaching to read more at any small given opportunity, even if I only had time for a page.

Louis & Louise is a masterpiece with an important message that will leave you pondering gender long after you finish reading about Lou's life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Louis & Louise.

November 26, 2018 – Started Reading