Michele Brooker's Reviews > The Music Shop

The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce

U 50x66

** spoiler alert ** 'Frank in The Music Shop has introduced me to music I've never heard before and has given me a new way of listening to all music' Johnnie Walker, MBE, disc jockey, broadcaster (on the inside cover of the The Music Shop).

There is a lot I loved about The Music Shop. Most of all I loved the music. I was constantly distracted by the playlist. I kept stopping reading to listen, first to individual songs and then finally I simply put it on continuous run when I wasn't reading; so it is fair to say that this book has been quite a large part of my life for the last week! Johnnie Walker sums it up- new music; some I liked, some I didn't- and a new way of listening: the silences in music (p.38); the spaces between the notes (p.108).

I made friends with the characters. Peg, with all her music knowledge and listening advice,
the prickly and brash maud and Saturday boy Kit. Although I'm not sure I would ever be attracted to Frank I loved the idea of him, his kindness and passion for music and how he knew the exact piece for his customers and friends.

The flash mob scene was, well, a flash mob. It seemed like it wasn't going to happen and then suddenly it was there before you realised- clever, funny and beautiful.

I would love to go and watch this in the cinema.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Music Shop.

November 28, 2018 – Started Reading
November 28, 2018 – Shelved
December 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Henry (new)

Henry Did it come with a playlist ?