Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > An Anonymous Girl

An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks

bookshelves: arc, mystery, thrillers

A psychological study on morality turns into a game of cat and mouse.

We’re introduced to Jess, an aspiring makeup-artist who is strapped for cash. With the promise of anonymity and a paycheck, she signs up for a psychology study conducted by the mysterious Dr. Shields. Answer a few questions, collect her money, and leave. Simple, right? However, as the questions become more intense, it’s not long before the study takes a turn. It morphs into something dangerous. Jess is caught in a web of deceit and jealousy and desperately tries to find a way out.

The first third of the book had me in its grip. However, it lost its pacing slightly and I wasn’t as engaged. There aren’t any major twists, just subtle ones that take the plot in an unexpectant direction. That being said, every time I thought I had it all figured out, there were more revelations and I didn’t know who to trust.

Like Jess, Dr. Shields intrigued me, and she was the perfect unreliable narrator. A modern-day wicked-witch, with her pleasant façade and generous gift-giving, wrapping Jess around her little finger. Her manipulative scheming is what kept me turning the pages, leading towards a satisfactory ending.

If I took one thing from this book, it’s to read the fine print before taking a survey. You really don’t know what you’re signing yourself up for.

3.5 stars overall!

Thanks to NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for providing me with an eARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Anonymous Girl.

November 28, 2018 – Shelved
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 6, 2019 – Started Reading
January 7, 2019 –
January 10, 2019 – Finished Reading
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery
January 11, 2019 – Shelved as: thrillers

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Zainab (new) - added it

Zainab Great review .

Evie Braithwaite Zainab wrote: "Great review ."

Thank you!