Sarah's Reviews > Bad Boy Blues

Bad Boy Blues by Saffron A. Kent

bookshelves: 2019-arc-reads

Saffron A Kent is an automatic one-click author for me. I know with each one of her books, although it may follow a specific trope, she makes it her own. Bad Boy Blues was no different. Yes, this is a bully romance, which is all the rage right now; but Zach & Cleo's story went deeper - the underlying theme of bullying is portrayed throughout the book within several generations. It struck a chord. It made me FEEL everything these victims felt. It painted the picture of the lasting effects which are caused from bullying. I was pulled in from the first pages and held on tight.

This story is told from both Cleo & Zach's POV which I loved, and it also has several flashbacks to their young childhood where their relationship first started. Every flashback that happened gave you more insight as to why each of them felt the way they did about the other. The author did a fabulous job of story-telling and developing these characters over the years without giving away too much of their story at once.

I fell for Zach immediately. Although he is cold, rude, and conceited, there is a side to him that drew me in right away. When he returns after a few years to his parents' estate, where Cleo works and lives, he is curious about her...he wanted and needed to know more about her...he couldn't just let her go. But he wasn't sure how to approach her without being the "bully" that she only knew him to be from their past. The more encounters they had with eachother, Zach slowly showed a different side to himself...a vulnerable and almost sensitive side, which didn't last for long periods however. He fought an inner battle with himself as to his feelings for Cleo. He knew he cared for her, but he didn't want to for his own reasons and his own past heartache. Zach was a true tortured hero, and my heart broke for him over and over.

"I don't need love. I don't need acceptance or approval. I reject them before they can ever reject me." ~Zach

Cleo was the epitome of my favorite heroine - she is alone, independent, determined and takes no hand-outs. She has her own style - makes her own mark - and is fearless. One of my favorite quotes from Zach was:

"Her name's like her. Loud and dramatic and a f*****g handful. Or mouthful. Whatever." ~Zach

Cleo was loud and I loved every time she made herself stand out. You knew she was beautiful, but she never flaunted it. She hid behind her blue hair, dark clothes, and simple style. She survived tragedy at a young age, but was determined to not let anything stop her from obtaining her goals. It was with this same determination that she would not let Zach take over her mind or life again. I loved that she stood up to him. She challenged him, and she surprised him at every turn. She never backed down, and when you see both her fight and her compassion for him you will fall head over heels for these two. They are beautifully broken and were meant to be.

"I'll change our story. If he's a false prince, then I'm his street Cinderella." ~Cleo

This story kept building and building, and each time I thought it was at its peak - something else would happen that made me love it even more. S Kent weaves the story of dark and light; star-crossed lovers; and enemies to lovers all in one beautiful tale that will have you swept up in a land of a prince and a paige who over several years fall apart and then reunite with passion and a resilience that will leave its mark. Well done once again S Kent!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Boy Blues.

November 28, 2018 – Shelved
November 28, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
April 1, 2019 – Started Reading
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-arc-reads
April 4, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

EpicRomanceReviews Wow! What a stunning, in depth review! Can’t wait to read Cleo and Zach’s book!❤️