Brenda's Reviews > The House of Second Chances

The House of Second Chances by Esther Campion

Even though Ellen O’Shea had returned to South Australia after her visit to her home in Ireland, she knew her brother Aidan who was a builder, would continue the renovation of their grandmother’s stone cottage in West Cork. Ellen had taken her good friend, interior designer Colette Barry on board, and knew she would do an excellent job with the cottage. But Aidan didn’t want the added cost that came with Colette’s grandiose ideas.

While good friend Gerry Clancy was trying to obtain the visa he needed to join Ellen in Australia, Colette was busy at her interior designer company, Fabulous Four Walls, along with good friend and partner John. When Colette and Gerry joined Aidan at the West Cork cottage, she could see the potential and knew the house would have a second chance with all they could do. But she also wondered how she could work with the perpetually grumpy owner of the cottage. How could he be the brother of her best friend?

With troubled pasts and dark secrets, plus events with family and friends of an upsetting nature, was there a possibility of second chances and starting over? Would Aidan find happiness? Would Colette?

The House of Second Chances by Aussie author Esther Campion is the sequel to Leaving Ocean Road, and it was wonderful to catch up with Ellen, Aidan and Gerry once again. The story continues on from the ending of Leaving Ocean Road and was exceptionally well done, with the blending of known characters with new ones. The parts of Australia in the novel – Port Lincoln, Millicent, Mount Gambier, the Coorong – are places I know (I lived in Mount Gambier as a child); while Ireland is a place I haven’t been, but the descriptions of the countryside were delightful. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and whipped through it in a matter of hours (who needs sleep?!) Highly recommended.

With thanks to Hachette AU for my ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Second Chances.

November 27, 2018 – Shelved
February 6, 2019 – Started Reading
February 6, 2019 – Shelved as: 5000-2019
February 6, 2019 – Shelved as: own-read
February 6, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sharon Great review, Brenda. Can’t wait to read this one :)

Brenda Thanks Sharon :) I loved it!

message 3: by Dale (new) - added it

Dale Harcombe Great review. Already on my TBR after reading Leaving Ocean Road

Brenda Thanks Dale. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.

message 5: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D Great review Brenda, I love the cover!

Brenda Thanks Kylie - so do I!!