destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Alex, the First Son, has one arch-nemesis: Prince Henry of England, the Crown’s golden boy. After their long-held feud escalates to a disaster at the Royal Wedding, the two are forced to fake a friendship in the spotlight to smooth international relations, and it’s going to be absolutely terrible. After all, Alex hates Henry! … doesn’t he?

Okay, look, I don’t even know how to start this review so I’m just going to apologize in advance for my fangirling, because honestly, it’s really just NOT fair at all that we’re less than three months into the year and I’ve probably already found my favorite book of the year. I mean, HOLY HELL, Y’ALL, THIS IS SO GOOD.

“And you are good. Most things are awful most of the time, but you’re good.”

I mean, this book is exactly what I’m referring to when I say that romance thrives on tropes and that we should embrace tropes more often because, seriously—international relations? Reluctant royals? Enemies-to-friends-to-lovers? Fake friendships? Fake dating? IT’S ALL HERE AND IT’S BEAUTIFUL.

“The turkeys are not going to Jurassic Park you. You’re not the bloke from Seinfeld. You’re Jeff Goldblum.”

When I say I loved this book, I’m worried that you’re interpreting it as, “wow, Destiny enjoyed this book,” when what I mean is, “I had to stop looking through my highlights for quotes to use because I was getting derailed by rereading all of my favorite parts and I’m legitimately tempted to reread this book right now even though I just finished it less than 24 hours ago.”

“You have so much in you, it’s almost impossible to match it. But he’s your match, dumbass.”

There are so many freaking adorable characters that I want to cherish forever. I mean, SO MANY. And they’re all so flawlessly and casually diverse and precious and wonderful.
Alex: First Son, biracial (white/Latinx), bisexual, hilarious, vaguely full of himself in the best way
👑 Henry: Prince, gaaaaay, softest bean ever
📰 June: First Daughter, biracial (white/Latinx), #squadmom for life, honestly gave me total queer vibes so can we please get a sequel confirming this??
💻 Nora: Alex and June’s bestie, bisexual, geeky AF, computer hacker and data analyst extraordinaire, endlessly hilarious (“still waters, deep dicking”)
🎤 Bea: Henry’s sister, former cocaine addict, sweet and feisty as hell, also queer AF and I’ll not hear any arguments
💎 Pez: Henry’s best friend, massive philanthropist, fashionista, no regard for societal gender roles (despite these last two things I’m tempted to think Pez is the Token Straight™ in the Super Six)

It’s nothing like kissing anyone he’s ever kissed in his life. It feels as steady and huge as the ground under their feet, as encompassing as every part of him, as likely to knock the wind out of his lungs.

I could gush forever, honestly. And the humor in this story! I laughed out loud so many times. And the swooning! There’s a fair amount of sex (though the scenes are all tame and mostly vague if that’s something you’re worried about), and even when everyone is fully clothed, the tension is off the charts. They’re so sweet together and they wear their little hearts on their sleeves and I adored everything about the perfect OTP that is Alex and Henry. ♥ Also, their text and email conversations? KILL ME WITH CUTENESS, CASEY MCQUISTON, JUST DO IT.

Whatever, fine. Henry is annoyingly attractive. That’s always been a thing, objectively. It’s fine.

I think the last thing I want to say is just how optimistic and downright hopeful this book is. Without spoiling anything, there’s a scene towards the end that is just pure queer affirmation and support and love and it had me bawling the happiest tears at the thought. The world is a really ugly place sometimes (especially in US politics lately) and I cherished every moment of this escape and this view into what we’re hopefully moving towards.

All quotes come from an advance copy and may not match the final release. Thank you so much to St. Martin’s Press for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red, White & Royal Blue.

November 27, 2018 – Shelved
November 27, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
January 2, 2019 – Shelved as: owned-digital
February 24, 2019 – Started Reading
February 25, 2019 –
13.0% "This has literally been one of the CUTEST things I have ever read in my life and I'm obsessed."
March 5, 2019 –
18.0% "I sincerely do not remember the last time any book made me laugh this hard"
March 5, 2019 –
42.0% "Oh, they're just so precious my heart aches 😭"
March 5, 2019 –
85.0% "I am SOBBING, this is so beautiful 😭😭😭😭"
March 5, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-reads
March 5, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2019 – Shelved as: favorites
March 6, 2019 – Shelved as: otp
April 2, 2019 – Shelved as: enemies-to-lovers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Bridgid (new) - added it

Bridgid Gallagher SOLD. Can't wait to read it! 💖

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Bridgid wrote: "SOLD. Can't wait to read it! 💖"

Enjoy! :)

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Herondale I need this book asap. So glad you enjoyed it :)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Laura wrote: "I need this book asap. So glad you enjoyed it :)"

Thank you Laura, I hope you love it too!

message 5: by Selena (new)

Selena What a wonderful review Destiny! Sounds like a wonderful read. Glad you enjoyed it. I always love a book that can make me laugh and cry.

Katrina I've had this preordered for months now and I just can't wait to get my hands on it. It sounds SO CUTE.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Selena wrote: "What a wonderful review Destiny! Sounds like a wonderful read. Glad you enjoyed it. I always love a book that can make me laugh and cry."

Thank you! It was incredible :)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Katrina wrote: "I've had this preordered for months now and I just can't wait to get my hands on it. It sounds SO CUTE."

Yessss! I hope you love it. I enjoyed it so much that I preordered a finished copy!

message 9: by *Stani* (new) - added it

*Stani* love, love, love this review! I couldn't wait to read this gem, but now I am even more excited about this book!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] *Stani* wrote: "love, love, love this review! I couldn't wait to read this gem, but now I am even more excited about this book!!"

Thank you!! <3 It's so good and I hope you love it as much as I did!

message 11: by *Stani* (new) - added it

*Stani* destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "*Stani* wrote: "love, love, love this review! I couldn't wait to read this gem, but now I am even more excited about this book!!"

Thank you!! <3 It's so good and I hope you love it as much as I did!"

it already sounds really awesome and I am pretty sure I will be gushing about it in no time when it comes out :D

Tucker I just got this in the mail the other day!!! I'm so pumped!!!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Tucker wrote: "I just got this in the mail the other day!!! I'm so pumped!!!!"

Congrats!! Enjoy it!