Joanne's Reviews > Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Jan 12, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

It's not that there aren't some interesting ideas here, it's that they're all presented from the perspective of a bunch of 1940s, cigar-smoking, good 'ol boys (on spaceships). The dialogue is right off a WWII air craft carrier and entirely androcentric. Not to go all feminist on it, but there are a total of 5 mentions of women in the entire book and none of those are positive. It seems less than prescient that however many 10s of thousands of years into the future we're talking about (the book starts us at 12069 of the Galactic Era) people might be concerning themselves with the possibility of a "housewives rebellion" (p291). As far as the socio-political elements of the book go, the book does offer some interesting critiques on materialism and the economic pursuit of power that remain highly relevant today and were indeed quite prescient at the time they were written. On the whole however, I find Walter Miller's Canticle for Leibowitz, published ten years after Foundation, does a much better job of engaging questions about ideology (religious, political and scientific) and presenting the macro-historical perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Foundation.