Anna Reid's Reviews > Hope: Based on a True Story

Hope by Tiyhise Huddleston

To be honest, I haven't read a book like this one in a very long time. My desire to adequately articulate my thoughts about what I've just read is overwhelming. This is how good this book is.
Hope tells the exquisitely captivating story of a young boy named Jonathan Williams and his struggle for survival, abuse and alteration. He had grown up witnessing his mother be physically abused by her pimp. His mother moves the two of them from the outlying districts of town into the inner city, so they could run away from the mistreat. But this only made Jonathan’s life a living hell. To say that his family issues were complex and deeply troubling, would be a huge understatement. His trials were somehow traumatic, miserable, and harrowing. The only comfort I find in the horror of his experience, is that either in spite of it or because of it, a compassionate, good-hearted, educated man clawed his way out of the muck. It was genuinely inspiring. If he can do what she did, with that childhood and experiences, then I have no excuses.
I feel consumed by this book. I didn't want to put it down. I did, because I had to feed my kids and drive them places, but it was never far from my mind or my fingertips. When I wasn't reading it, I was raving about it to my husband, colleagues, and friends. Though I have finished reading it, I am by no means finished with it.
Needless to say, Tiyhise Huddlestone is a remarkable writer. He’s just a flat-out incredible writer that effortlessly draws you into his history. I felt like a silent bystander in his life and I was blown away at his intentional evaluation of his own perspective. As with real life, I couldn't predict what would happen next and was constantly surprised. This book was inspiring, and heart-warming and I highly recommend this book to anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope.

Finished Reading